Elapsed time on the previous part of the process is about 1/2 hour. I'm sure you all could do it in about that amount of time.
The next step is to make cardboard cutting patterns. In the first picture, you can see how far I took the seat apart. I only went a little over half way to the center of the seat. This way I have the other half to look at if I forget how to sew the pieces back together. When I do bucket seats, I leave one of the seats together on the frame for the same reason. The whole seat back only has 4 cardboard patterns. Top band, side band, side insert band and front band above the insert. The front band above the insert presented a problem. I wanted to remove the sew foam from the back of it, but it was glued on so tight I couldn't peal it off. I ended up using my foam saw and sliced the foam away like you filet a fish. The two long patterns are only half patterns which I'll flip end for end when laying out on the fabric. The rest of the pattern simply consists of measurements. That includes the center insert, the insert welts, the two inserts to the left and right of the center, the perimeter welt, the center welt,the top wire listing , and the bottom pull strip with a pocket for the wire. I take the vinyl pieces and soak them in hot water to clean them off and soften them up, and then flatten them with a steam iron from the back side. After I iron them long enough to almost make them dry, I put them face up under a piece of plywood and weight it down. It only takes a short while for them to dry, and they are usually very flat. Then I trace them onto chipboard. That's all for today. Tomorrow , we'll start cutting fabric. By the way, total elapsed time so far is about 1 1/2 hours. I'm sure you guys will be a little slower than me at making the patterns, so expect to take probably 1/2 hour longer than that.
Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-12-2007 at 07:35 PM.