Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Truck Seat Upholstery Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The very first thing to do when you cut any fabric is to square up the edge. The first picture shows my framing square with my 60" ruler. Never assume that the edge of a new roll of fabric is square, it almost never is. This is not important for these first few pieces, but as soon as we start cutting rectangles, it becomes very important. Simply trace the pieces in question, making sure to transfer your witness marks to the fabric, and cut them out. I like to use a Fisher R80SL Silver ink pen to mark on leather , ultraleather, and vinyl. The reason being, I can trace the pattern with the fabric right side up. If I goof something up, this ink washes right off with mild cleaner or Lexol leather cleaner on leather. I can even write instructions or put arrows on the fabric that will be easily removed later. On fabric, I like to use yellow tailor's chalk. Both of those are personal choices, you can mark your fabric with whatever you like. The key thing to remember is to keep all the parts going in the right direction for the piece in question. In other words, a vertical piece needs to be kept vertical, and a horizontal piece needs to be kept horizontal, with up going to the top of the roll of fabric. If you look at the welts (I cut welts 1 1/2" wide, and sew them with 4/32" welt cord which makes a slightly smaller welt.) all of them are cut horizontal, and all of them have a small angled notch in the upper right hand corner. I do this with all rectangular pieces that could be sewn in upside down. This is not so important with vinyl, but is extremely important with fabric. If you sew a piece of fabric in upside down, you have ruined the seat cover. When you do this with vinyl, you keep the stretch going in the same direction for all the pieces. Most vinyl has a two way stretch, sometimes side to side, and sometimes top to bottom on the roll. If you cut a piece in the wrong direction, you can have problems sewing the pieces together. One piece stretches more than the other making it almost impossible to keep witness marks together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0176-1.JPG
Views:	1125
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	21905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0177-1.JPG
Views:	949
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	21906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0178-1.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	21907   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0179-1.JPG
Views:	878
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	21908   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0180-1.JPG
Views:	1192
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	21909  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-13-2007 at 11:58 AM.