Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Truck Seat Upholstery Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The last thing I'm going to be able to do today is cut the vinyl blanks and cut the sew foam blanks. The sew foam I like to use is 1/2" thick. Some people like to use 1/4" sew foam, which might be a good idea for your first project. Sewing 1/4" thick pieces together is a lot easier than sewing 1/2" pieces together. I like the thicker look of the 1/2" foam. When I say "blank" I mean a rectangular piece of fabric or vinyl which is bigger than the actual pattern, which will be glued to a piece of sew foam of the same size as the fabric. After gluing to the sew foam, the actual pattern is then traced onto the fabric and sewn down to the sew foam. The sew foam I like has a woven scrim backing glued to it, whose purpose is to hold the stitching without cutting the foam. They make other cloth backed foams. Some has a non-woven backing called remay, some has a velcro backing, and some has channels already set up in the foam. The last two foams are very pricey, as you might expect. That's all I have time for today. Tomorrow we start to sew. This whole process took me 1 hour. You can expect to take probably 1/2 hour more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0184-1.JPG
Views:	1124
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	21913   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0185-1.JPG
Views:	1288
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	21914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0186-1.JPG
Views:	1289
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	21915  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-13-2007 at 11:47 AM.