Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Truck Seat Upholstery Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The next step is to sew all the parts of the front of the seat back together into one unit. Sew the pieces below the top front band together one at a time starting with the piece on the left, and continuing sewing the pieces together until you're done. Then sew the welt to the top of that unit, and then sew the top front band to the welt. Now you have the whole front assembly complete. It still needs a pull strip with a pocket for a wire at the bottom, and the side and top bands. I had a piece of light canvas the right color to go with the color scheme, so I used that for the pullstrip. Picture one shows one of the reasons I sew the extra stitch line inside of the outside stitch line. I can put the right side of the welt foot on that stitch line and follow it, producing a perfect 1/2" wide seam. That extra stitch line also makes sewing the parts together easier. The second picture shows how I hold the welt down as I sew it in. I compress the foam with my fingers, and let up my fingers as the piece passes through the machine. The last picture shows me folding open the seam I'm crossing to make it flatter as I sew the welt on over it. This part of the project took me 1 hour. I would expect it to take you guys a lot longer than that, probably 1 1/2 hours. That's all for today. Tomorrow we put the outside bands on and finish sewing the seat back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0208-1.JPG
Views:	1594
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	21951   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0209-1.JPG
Views:	1658
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	21952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0210-1.JPG
Views:	1594
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	21953   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0211-1.JPG
Views:	1605
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	21954   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0212-1.JPG
Views:	1905
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	21955  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 01-11-2009 at 01:34 AM.