Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Truck stalls when put in gear?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowser View Post
The truck has a Edlebrock 600cfm carb with electric choke. The timing is set at 12 degrees BTDC and it idles at 900-1000 the best. AmI in ballpark? GOWSER.
I've not been on much so didn't see this till just now. But I'd say you probably need to do some fine tuning.

What you don't want to have happen is the mechanical advance (controlled by the weights and springs under the rotor in the distributor) to be allowing the timing to advance when it's idling at 900-1000 rpm- which is kind of high unless you have a radical cam.

If the mechanical advance is coming in at 900 rpm, when you put it into gear the timing from the mechanical advance will suddenly be lost. That- along w/the increased load on the engine from being put into gear- will often pull the idle speed down too far.

The cure isn't to add more curb idle speed, instead you would want to add initial timing.

I'll hold off until we hear back from you on possible cures. In the meantime, here is a page w/info on timing that may help you get a grasp of the subject.