Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truck stalls when put in gear?

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
I installed a 350TH from 1982 Capric Classic behind 1968-327 Chevy. My problem is at 1000rpms the truck stalls when put in gear. When I increase the RPMS to keep it running the truck jumps ahead when put into gear. As far as I know the torque converter is original. Lots of help needed thanks GOWSER.

#10 ·
The truck has a Edlebrock 600cfm carb with electric choke. The timing is set at 12 degrees BTDC and it idles at 900-1000 the best. AmI in ballpark? GOWSER.
I've not been on much so didn't see this till just now. But I'd say you probably need to do some fine tuning.

What you don't want to have happen is the mechanical advance (controlled by the weights and springs under the rotor in the distributor) to be allowing the timing to advance when it's idling at 900-1000 rpm- which is kind of high unless you have a radical cam.

If the mechanical advance is coming in at 900 rpm, when you put it into gear the timing from the mechanical advance will suddenly be lost. That- along w/the increased load on the engine from being put into gear- will often pull the idle speed down too far.

The cure isn't to add more curb idle speed, instead you would want to add initial timing.

I'll hold off until we hear back from you on possible cures. In the meantime, here is a page w/info on timing that may help you get a grasp of the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.