truck starts when it likes too! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

truck starts when it likes too!

Hey,
I have a 56 Chevy pickup...I reinstalled a new harness but factory for that year. also i have a internal alternator. I have really no clue on electrical so i could use some help!!!

the problem i have is...there are two problems...I have a drain somewhere if it sits overnight...my BIG problem is this...I get the truck started and go to a show and turn it off...i disconnect the battery because of the drain...but once i hook it back it doesn't start at times and i have to jump it...soon as i jump it, it fires up!...the other day i drove around the block, parked it, turned it off and tried to started it again, no go...then next morning i just hooked the battery up and it started right up...

does anyone have an idea...is something getting hot...the engine is new, dist. new, battery new, alternator is new...
Please help
Les

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Les,
What do you mean it won't start? the starter won't turn or it just clicks? or it turns & won't start?
also have you checked the output of the alternator, sounds as if it's not charging, or that drain get's worse when it's running.
Rich
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

truck starts when it likes too

Hey Rich
the starter doesn't click nor turn...nothing happens...a couple of people told me that the starter is getting to hot and that is why it wont start until it cools down...

I am a novice at Electrical. the weird part is that it doesn't do it all the time...but i can see that the longer i drive it, thats when it happens...but every time i hit with jumper cables it fires right up...

please advise if you have any thoughts.
Thanks
Les
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

Less
A hot starter isn't your problem, but that drain is, you really need to chase it down, that could also be causing your popping,
when you put the harness in did you connect the old voltage regulator? if no what did you do with the wires? how did you wire the alternator? how about the HEI what wires did you use
to wire it?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Rich
the harness I bought gave me a choice and I bought the harness for internal reg. alternator...In which i have on there...there is a wire clip on the top of the alternator that has two wires going into it...and there is another wire that i was told to just bolt on to the terminal on the back of the alternator...I am not sure if that is correct...
Les
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

Less,
Do you have a test light, or volt ohm meter? the wiring as you explained it is correct, now is there voltage to the wire on the back terminal? your going to need testing stuff, can any of your friends help you with anything? I see you live in Jersey, where at?
Rich
Old 09-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

Hey
I think my dad has a test light...i went home at lunch to start it, she started 5 times with no problem...it did not really get warmed up. I looked at the alternator...it has the clip on the top and the two wires coming out...one on the left is black and the other is blue...also i saw on the back terminal that there is a wire harness there and the blue one comes out of it and is in the clip...also the black wire that is in the clip is also bolted to that terminal with the harness...is that done correctly.

I live in south jersey...
Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

If you would like I can come over tomorrow & give you a hand.

PS when you start with colors I'm lost, I'm colorblind
Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the offer...you are over 3 hrs away...and I work all day...thanks for you help...I guess I will get a light from my dad and try to see what is going on.
Thanks
Les
Old 09-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Starting problems

Just a test LIGHT is not going to do it all.
I just had this problem, and there are 2 issues.
1. Check in the electrical part of this site and there is a drawing of the proper wire set up. If you connect to the wrong side of the coil it'll drain things over night. I thought you said you has HEI so that would be ruled out.
2. My problem was the alternator was putting out only 11.5 v. to 12.0 v.
just enough to run the engine for a good while (though not a very hot spark) but not enough to charge the battery at the same time.
By the time the juice reached the horn relay which acts as a bus bar before the juice goes to the battery to charge it it had dropped to 11v.....and when I turned on the headlights (halogen) it dropped to about 10v. I never even got to run any other elec accesories.
It just drained the battery every time I drove it. I'd charge it over night and then it would still go dead.
A few days ago I finally sprung for a new 78 amp alternator and all is well. Now I have 14.2 v everywhere, and I can run everything.
I also read where sometimes on race engines some folks will put on a different ALT pulley, and this will make the ALT turn slower, and not charge the way it should.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

hey
I do have a HEI Dist. i just checked the volts at the alt. last night and i am getting around 14 and up on the meter...the battery is getting fully charged to normal reading...

the whacked part is i can drive it and as soon as i park and try to turn it back on there is no click...I am lost.
Thanks
Les

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.