Hot Rod Forum banner

truck trans in car

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  baddbob 
#1 ·
is it ok to use a truck transmission in a car?

my friend is putting a 460 in a mustang and wants to know if he can use the 4speed transmission bolted to the engine (dunno what transmission it is)
but would the transmission make that much of a difference?

the mustang is a 1992 started out as a 4cyl/auto
the drive train is out of a 1985 ford f250 460 and a 4speed transmission 2wd

#2 ·
Doesn't that trans have a granny low 1st gear?? I am also wondering about length?? you'll have to do some measuring to make sure the shifter is located at least close. Like as in you wouldn't want the shifter to be in the backseat. LOL . And is there a short shifter handle available?There are alot of questions?? try searching this site for mustang/ford guys.......Brian

#5 ·
the problem with car manual trannies is they cant take the torque of the bbf. even a built t-5 cant take more than 525 ft-lbs, and with some work you could exceed that. thats why 460s almost always had c-6's on them. they can take up to about 800 horse stock and if you build them up theyll take whatever you can throw at them.

#6 · (Edited)
are there any transmissions out there that he could buy an after market bell housing that he could bolt them up?
hell it could be GM Ford or Mopar he just wants something strong and doesn't wanna trade the first born for a transmission

if he has just a mild 460(about 350-450hp)could he just bolt up a T5 out of an 80s mustang?
what beefing up would be required?

#7 ·
its not the horsepower that kills parts, its the torque. the bellhousing that he has on that 435 would bolt up to a t-5 but the t-5 wouldnt stand up. thats why they only put them behind small blocks. the only manual trannies that were put behind 460s were the zf-5 speed (good choice but spendy), the np435, and i think the clark 542(5 speed). the zf is a nice overdrive tranny but theyre around 1500 dollars or so, the clark 542 would be a good choice if youve got relatively light rear gears (3.5 or numerically lower) and could probably be had for around 600 dollars. just look for an old grain truck with a 5 speed and thatll probably be the clark. you could look for a nv4500 or nv5600 but again a 4500 (5 speed) would be around 1200 dollars, and a 5600 (6 speed) would be 1500+. it all depends on how much money youre willing to part with. also as long as you have the engine out you should swap in an aftermarket timing chain and set it straight up. the factory is set 4 degrees retarded and cuts probably 25 horse off.

#11 ·
75gmck25 said:
I had a Ford 4 speed in my '69 Torino with a 428 Cobrajet, and they used the same trans in later Torinos with a 429 Cobrajet. Wouldn't that transmission bolt up to a 460 and wouldn't it hold up to the torque?

Bruce
yes it would... but that tranny would again be a grand easy... he wants to do it cheap- and the cheap way to do it is a grain truck tranny... at least around here.

#13 ·
i cant remember the number, but theres a gm muncie that would work... but again youre looking at a grand easy for one in good shape. the only trannies that are under a grand are grain truck trannies. a stock t5 may last a week, may last a year, it all depends on how heavy you are on the accelerator. if you try to do burn-outs and let the clutch out at 2000+ rpm the t5 would last maybe a week... if you drive more conservatively then you could get it to last longer... but id still stick with the 435... its a strong reliable tranny

#14 ·
darrin26 said:
yes it would... but that tranny would again be a grand easy... he wants to do it cheap- and the cheap way to do it is a grain truck tranny... at least around here.
A weaker version of the toploader can be found in older econoline vans and it'll hold up reasonable well if common sense is used, same externally as the toploaders behind all the performance v8's of the late 60's and early 70's. A friend of mine uses these all the time. Bob

#15 ·
I know he seems to want to stay with the STD trans but.I just don't know bout using that farm truck trans, sure it's tough as 10 miles of bad dirt road. But what are the ratios and where will the shifter be. I still think for the sake of sheer expense he could take that farm truck trans and see if a junk yard would swap him for a good C-6. If he had to have it built he could pull it and get it bench built in a day for 3 or 4 hundred $$$$$ W/new torque conv,shift kit yada yada yada. This way he could get it on the street and IMOP would be much happier with it's performance. He can save his pennies till he can upgrade to the 4-5 or even 6 spd of his choice. Just an Idea.........Brian :thumbup:

#16 ·
baddbob said:
A weaker version of the toploader can be found in older econoline vans and it'll hold up reasonable well if common sense is used, same externally as the toploaders behind all the performance v8's of the late 60's and early 70's. A friend of mine uses these all the time. Bob

how common or uncommon are these?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.