Hot Rod Forum banner

Truck Wont Start!?!

914 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  lg1969 
#1 ·
Working on a 2wd '81 Chevy custom deluxe, 350, th350. Whatever the issue is, it was giving me problems for a few days before dieing. I would have to drop the shifter into reverse and back to park once and then it would start. Now nothing works! I pulled the starter out and tested it, no problems. I put the starter back in and bought a new neutral safety switch but I guess I bought one for a newer truck because it clips on the column and mine is screwed on. Also, my old NSS has 4 prongs (2 plugs) and the new one has five prongs (3 plugs?) I plugged it in anyways and still no go. I bypassed both plugs with a piece of wire and still no go. I tried jumping the starter and it doesn't even spark. I have checked all the wires to see if they're broken or melted, and I've checked grounds and ground straps, no sign of anything wrong. I just put a good $1000 into the truck so this is pissing me off. I recently installed a shiftkit, but I don't see how it would have something to do with the tranny? I'm down to think it's something in to the column and the easiest route would be to just replace the whole thing?? :confused:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. My truck is sitting on the road by a friend's house and I don't want to pay the tow truck to bring it home. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Check the connection at the starter. The main power wire from the battery to the solenoid must be tight, if it`s not it won`t get any power. If that checks out okay next I would look at the fusable links, they should be, Note I said should be in a small guard that bolts onto the bellhousing to keep them away from a heat source. If they are blown, it will have no power, no lights, no starter, no nothing. Also check the positive terminal on the solenoid, it should not move. Also check the smaller wires that run to it, if one of them breaks it won`t start.

#3 ·
DoubleVision said:
Check the connection at the starter. The main power wire from the battery to the solenoid must be tight, if it`s not it won`t get any power. If that checks out okay next I would look at the fusable links, they should be, Note I said should be in a small guard that bolts onto the bellhousing to keep them away from a heat source. If they are blown, it will have no power, no lights, no starter, no nothing. Also check the positive terminal on the solenoid, it should not move. Also check the smaller wires that run to it, if one of them breaks it won`t start.
Very good advice here. Any of these could be the culprit and would be a lot easier to fix than replacing a steering column. Always a good idea to start with the simpliest things first.
The NSS would have been my first guess because of what you said about having to move the shifter.
Terry

#4 · (Edited)
I didn't think to check the fusable links. The rest of the wires look good, and everything else works inside and outside the truck. I forgot to mention that of the two plugs on the NSS (green/blue & a bigger purple/yellow) the blue wire is the only wire that has power when the key is on? I assume the yellow or purple should also? Is there something inside the column around the shifter that would have an effect on anything here? When I turn the key to the "start" position the cd player turns off like it should to direct power to the starter but nothing....

#6 · (Edited)
So if it never has juice...? I even tried jumping power from the small blue wire to the purple and yellow wires but nothing works. It must be something before that wire which it leads to the column? The only thing I can think of in there that may effect the starter is the ignition switch itself? Do I buy a new switch or change the column? Thanks for the help

#9 ·
2wheeler said:
So what is it if it NEVER has juice?? :confused:

There should only be voltage on this wire when the key switch is turned to the cranking position, otherwise it has no power on it.

If it is dead when the key switch is in the cranking position then there are two other possibilities assuming the battery is good. But lets dispense with the third option first, that of a "dead" battery. It is possible for a battery to show 12+ volts and yet not have any cranking reserve. The way to check for this is a load test on the battery. You can do a little of this at home by turning on all the electrical system and watching the voltage, a good battery should hold up to everything without going below 11.5 volts with the engine off.

First- there is a large cable from the battery to the top terminal of the starter solenoid, this should be hot all the time and show exactly the same electrical potential as found at the battery. There is a large usually red wire that goes from here to the ignition switch, it may stop at the fuse block first. This is main power for the vehicle often referred to as the B+ line. It usually includes a fused link, some models do tap this off the battery terminal. If the fused link has failed, there will be no power to the ignition switch and none of the circuits that are active when the ignition is in the start or run position will work (i.e. turn signals, radio, heater fan). If you have headlights and brake lights, then the B+ line is functioning and the problem is in the fuse block or the ignition switch. Another test is to jump, using a remote starter switch from the large terminal on the top of the solenoid to the purple wire's terminal. If there is 12 volts on the big terminal and the battery is good, then when the switch is depressed the solenoid should engage and the starter will operate. Keep in mind that all of this assumes the park neutral switch functions properly.

Second- if there is B+ power at the ignition switch, but nothing else works, then it's likely the ignition switch is faulty.

You really need a manual when doing electrical, even the simple trucks have pretty complex wiring and without a manual your left to a lot of independent discovery.

Bogie

#10 ·
Make sure the neutral safety switch is set at the right position. The only time the safety switch will crank the starter is in park or neutral position. I do not know if your truck has a feature where you press the brake pedal in order to crank the motor. Some do, Some don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.