Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Hotrodding Basics (
-   -   Truck Won't start (

61ChevyTruck 08-08-2004 02:29 AM

Truck Won't start
alright i got a problem obviously my truck won't start i have a small block chevy engine, i have power to everything inside and i have power to the starter, i thought the starter might be bad, but i went to have it tested and it worked passed with flying colors. i'm not sure whats wrong, i have power to the starter, but it's just not turning over, every once and a while i'll hear it try to go but it just won't go through, and most everytime it won't even try to turn over. not sure whats up though, i just replaced the ignition switch about 3-4 months ago, maybe something is shorted out??? any help to clear this up would be greatly apperciated!!!!

Kevin45 08-08-2004 05:21 AM

It sounds to me like it is wired incorrectly or you have a broken wire in the loom somewhere. There is more than 1 wire that goes to the starter and because you have hot to it doe not mean all is wired up right. Double and triple check your wiring schematic.

mshellw 08-08-2004 11:04 AM

what kind of noise does it make (if any.)?

61ChevyTruck 08-08-2004 05:46 PM

i'm posotive it's wired correctly, started right up i moved it to the driveway shut it off and tried to turn it and nothin, i hit it just in case it was stuck but nothin, i took the wires off i found a spot in the wire where it was exposed looks as if it caught the exhaust and burnt the wire to the metal, so i taped all the wires up good and i'm gonna see if it works now!!!!!

Seon 08-08-2004 07:16 PM

You'll need to cut that wire above the damaged area and then splice a new wire from there to the starter. Then try it. It sounds like you just put a "bandage" over the cut wire by taping over it. :nono:

61ChevyTruck 08-09-2004 01:17 AM

well it worked, and i haven't had a problem since, but if it does it again i'm gonna rewire the whole damn truck, and by the way seon where in northern cali are you? i live in Redding!!!!!