trunk battery ground - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Last journal entry: Con't
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trunk battery ground

I know the general consensus here seems to be run a ground cable from a trunk mount battery to the bell housing. Mark from M.A.D. feels body/frame ground is better. I respect the opinions here as well as Marks, so I'm in a quandary. My question is "could I run a ground from battery to a bolt through or welded to the frame, put a nut on it, then run a cable to the bellhousing from under another nut, and then run another ground from the bellhousing to frame in front". Would that get everyones approval or would there be another problem.? I would in any case ground the bell housing to firewall. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

sorry guys - just saw similar thread just posted. Mine is a steel car however
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

I'm the guy that made the other similar post. I'm thinking of doing pretty much the same thing that you just described. The general consensus seems to be that you need to bring a battery ground cable forward to the engine instead of just using a chassis ground in the trunk.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris_thespider
I'm the guy that made the other similar post. I'm thinking of doing pretty much the same thing that you just described. The general consensus seems to be that you need to bring a battery ground cable forward to the engine instead of just using a chassis ground in the trunk.

I have been using chassis grounds for years.. No problem when done right..
Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM

In theory, using the frame as a ground point should work fine. However, at the two points where each cable end bolts onto the frame you must keep a very clean electrical connection (sand frame down to bright metal, use a star washer, etc.).

If you run a cable directly from the battery up to the engine, it is simpler to maintain (and usually more reliable) because you have fewer places where you can build up corrosion or have a bolt loosen up and degrade the connection.

Bruce
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
In theory, using the frame as a ground point should work fine. However, at the two points where each cable end bolts onto the frame you must keep a very clean electrical connection (sand frame down to bright metal, use a star washer, etc.).

If you run a cable directly from the battery up to the engine, it is simpler to maintain (and usually more reliable) because you have fewer places where you can build up corrosion or have a bolt loosen up and degrade the connection.

Bruce
Exactly my point, this has been beat to death on this forum and will be in the future. Common sense dictates fewer connections means fewer problems. In the end however people will do what is cheaper, so save your breath.

Vince
Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

I will keep doing it that way..Cheap has nothing to do with it.. If it work's find, why not.. But me and you never did agree on anything before, So why start now.. Your way isn't the only way.. People can build their car the way they want.. Instead of telling them it won't work that way, Just tell them it isn't ''your way''.. Not it won't work.. And we been down this road before.. Cheap way !!! ya right !!!! It has a lot to do with not wanting a bunch of ******* hanging under your car that you don't need..
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

I know its been beat to death, thats why I was wondering why not do both?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Trunk battery ground

Every airplane flying uses a chassis (fuselage) ground. You've got all that metal and it saves on wire and weight.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
But me and you never did agree on anything before, So why start now.. Your way isn't the only way.
Where in the heck did that come from , I don't remember you and I having any disagreements.

Vince
Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Where in the heck did that come from , I don't remember you and I having any disagreements.

Vince

I think it might have been with, Elec fans,Starters and one wire Alt. Did I miss any.. Hate to see us bumping heads.. I just don't get where you see they are problems.. I only use Elec fans, And one wire Alt. and frame grounds, And I have been doing this for sometime now, And I just don't understand where these problems your having is coming from.. I never wanted to go toe to toe with you, But I must be doing something a little deferent then you.. I don't get it... But when you say what we do is Cheap, Your wrong.. My way of doing it is not cheap.. When I build cars I Keep safety At the top of the list.. #2 On that list is Neatness.. And not having to run things you don't really need is just my way.. But it can be done safe and neat when done right.. Sorry we have to disagree on these things.. I'm Just a little different when it come to telling people what work's and what I don't like... If I don't like it that way, I don't tell them it won't work.. I tell them how to make it right that way.. That's just me.. I know you have a few years on me Vince, But I have been down the custom car building road my whole life...This is my life !!!! And do this 24-7 now.. Hope we get pass this..
Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

this bs of running a cable to the block is to cure badly tuned engines with cheap battery's and starters. i have never done it nor will i. gm used the firewall for a ground , remember the 1/4 in ground straps to the valve covers. my 2008 chrysler has a ground from the batt to the body in the trunk. as does many other new cars. this is just another one of the ole wives tales passed on as gospel . a batt to chassis is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt ground.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	44482  
Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

He!! run 'em both. I got so tired of seeing the controversy here and elsewhere that I have grounds all over - chassis, body, engine. I used cable, woven straps, wires of different gauge - and I have a steel car

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.