Trunk in Fiberglass Roadster question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trunk in Fiberglass Roadster question.

I have a Fiberglass 1930 roadster body. The trunk area is outlined to look like a trunk lid but there isn't one. I want to cut the trunk open , but my problem is making some kind of rests for the lid to rest on when shut. Has anybody ever done this and how? Thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Get out the fiberglass supplies. Woodworking skills.

I had a 29 roadster body shell. Cut out the panel then made oak pieces, from lumber supply, for drip rail/side supports. Glued in with construction adhesive. Covered them with fiberglass. Same with inner structure of lid and body. Then used Pinto trunk lid hinges.

Hardest part was truing/finishing up the edges of the trunk panel. A cheap spray lay up and loose glass hairy edges took a bit to finish.

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 05-27-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Get out the fiberglass supplies. Woodworking skills.

I had a 29 roadster body shell. Cut out the panel then made oak pieces, from lumber supply, for drip rail/side supports. Glued in with construction adhesive. Covered them with fiberglass. Same with inner structure of lid and body. Then used Pinto trunk lid hinges.

Hardest part was truing/finishing up the edges of the trunk panel. A cheap spray lay up and loose glass hairy edges took a bit to finish.
Than ks for the advice. I didn't think of using wood for the supports, only thought of metal or aluminum. Looks like I'll be giving it a try. Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I did when I built my homemade 32 roadster..
I flipped my body over and layed a 1'' flat bar down and taped the endsWaxed the flat bar and layed my glass over the flat bar, Only to the body on one side..Leaving the other side right up to the eage of the flat bar.. Before you start,, Drill some small holes in the corners of the trunk lid,, This will let you know where to lay out the back side... The two flat spots,(top and bottom) will be flat flat bars,, The side you will have to bend the flat bars to fit the shape of the body and tape them into place.. Not sure if your under standing this or not...Here is some pictures I found... Not the best shot's but may help..

Cut the lid out AFTER you glass in the lip's.. Much easiers...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0248.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	74363   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0254.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	74364   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0263.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	74365   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0257.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	74366   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0262.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	74367  

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Here'a shot of it done..

Sorry it's the best I found..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2254.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	74368   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2228.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	74369  
Old 05-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Have you contacted some of the body makers to see if they have a kit of the gutters? Then buy a lid from them and wham, it's rock and roll time.

Brian
Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

As usual, Randy (New Interiors) does his great photo write up. I just want to add that you will lose a fair amount of body strength if you open up that trunk area and will probably have to add some reinforcing, especially if you are using a Model A frame as the last couple of feet hang out with little support after that last bolt inside the trunk. I do like the oak (or maple/hickory/ash) for trunk edge supports but that wood will move around somewhat with climate changes - so using steel is probably the best. Then there are the replacement gutters - and they are available at most Model A restoration stores like Bratton's, Snyders or MAC's, but I'll only guess that they wont fit well as the original Model A was 18ga steel(or thereabouts) and that fiberglass is a lot thicker for strength and probably not very smooth plus the body manufacturer may have not been very true to the original. You can see some of the steel I added in in the trunk of my steel bodied '31 along with OEM gutters:

The unpainted steel stock as well as the black painted were all add on's.

The wood is just for attaching upholstery while the steel keeps everything else from 'flopping around' - and it for sure does with a slight penalty for weight.

Dave W

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.