trunk lid - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trying to attach pictures, lets see if this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG00001-20091105-1301.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	45460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00060-20100118-1351 (2).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	45461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00063-20100118-1352.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	45462  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Okay, that worked. The first pic is basically just the back of the car - shows no top damage, hasn't been wrecked or beat. In the next pic, the car has been primered so the grey portion is the part under the window the black is the trunk lid showing it is raised in the middle of the top straight edge. The last pic is another view to hopefully shed a little more.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:16 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I purchased a Trunk Lid from Wescott's for my '35, and it did not fit. I used original Trunk Hinges, and it fit good at the front, however the rear corners would not fit-it was either high in the middle, or it was low in the corners, no matter what I did to adjust, tweek or shim. The workmanship of the part is very good, but I had to do some MAJOR slicing and dicing along with Fiberglass work to get it right.

I attributed it to poor quality control at Ford-
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenP
Trying to attach pictures, lets see if this works.
You need to reduce your picture size. Go to the menu on your camera and change it. You will also get a LOT more photos on your chip if you do this. As you have it, ONE of your photos is taking the room of 20. I am surprised you were even able to load it here.

Get this down and you will be a lot better off. Photos and the internet go together, when I think of how much faster I could have learned things 30 years ago if I had what we have here.....

Brian
Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Wescott's is the best of a lot of 'glass after market car part suppliers most are ho hum. I have their fenders on my AVATAR car and I can assure you that there was much work to do on them to make them fit right. First of all, they were warped from continued curing after the were removed from the mold. I bolted them on anyhow as best possible, used a bunch of weight, bungee cords, rope and clamps then turned on some heat lamps under a tarp. They came close after about a week of "playing" with them. Next, the fit at the running boards was just plain bad. These had to be glassed, steel reinforcing added then ground to fit. I had looked at repro steel front fenders - and they were even worse.

DURING FITTING

ABOUT DONE

But with that said, I would pursue an OEM trunk lid. This vintage car ('35-'40 is my time line) was/is a major PITA to fit body parts even using Henry's original pieces

Dave W
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

But with that said, I would pursue an OEM trunk lid. This vintage car ('35-'40 is my time line) was/is a major PITA to fit body parts even using Henry's original pieces

Dave W
You said a mouthful Dave.

Vince
Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

Wow Dave,

I had no idea that you had so much trouble-gee, I have a lot to look forward to! I know a lot has been discussed regarding the curing of Fiberglass parts and how the vendors make/cure them. I had considered using JB Donaldson Fenders on my car due to how they cure them, however I still beleive Wescott's to be the best-I'm concerned now-
Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i've dealt with glass cars for years. they are a pia but all are. a glass fender is not going to lay in the floor and keep it's shape. period . even building with all steel is a pia . these cars were pos's when new. the number one tool on the assembly line was a 2x4 . jb uses tooling gel for his cars ( vinyl ester ) and makes on hell of a fine car .
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
i've dealt with glass cars for years. they are a pia but all are. a glass fender is not going to lay in the floor and keep it's shape. period . even building with all steel is a pia . these cars were pos's when new. the number one tool on the assembly line was a 2x4 . jb uses tooling gel for his cars ( vinyl ester ) and makes on hell of a fine car .
Thanks for the insight Shine-do you know what type of Resin Wescott's uses, or any insight into who makes a better part (Wescott's or Donaldson?)?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

vinylester is the holy grail of resin. i have never seen it but have heard jb has a body setting out back in the sun thats been there for years. don (da34guy) has most likely been by there. wescott builds a nice car as does jb . be a tuff call between them. but as with every business people get older and sell out or turn over to the kids. we all know what happens then.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
but as with every business people get older and sell out or turn over to the kids. we all know what happens then.
Case in point...Gibbon Fiberglass

Vince
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
but as with every business people get older and sell out or turn over to the kids. we all know what happens then.
....and since Dee Wescott went to the big 'glass shop in the skies last year, makes me wonder what will happen there.

Unfortunately, for my car - JB Donaldson doesn't make a single part so had to use the best available. Their web site - crappy

Dave W
Old 05-01-2010, 05:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

www.bobdrake.com
have some respect for the car...
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
www.bobdrake.com
have some respect for the car...
You're a rebel aren't you! I agree, but I would keep looking for a nice (or not so nice) original. I would rather have an original panel ran over by a truck that I have to fix than run a repro anything, glass, steel, I don't care, I want ORIGINAL parts. But that is just me, just my personal opinion.

Not only do you have some Chinese crap or a piece of a hot tub on your car it often needs as much work as a screwed up original anyway!

Hayden, you checked Craigs list and ebay, how long did you look? Do you have tickets to the theater next week and need a lid to take your honey in the 40?

I have been looking for parts for my 1948 Chevy pickup, it is AMAZING what pops up when you least expect it. How about NOS fenders, see them all the time, how about an NOS 53 Corvette intake for the motor, I bought it. NOS distributor for the 1955 235 in it, bought i on ebay. NOS gas pedal, bought it on eBay. The stuff is out there, don't be in a hurry.

I have a 59 Rambler, I have bought all the brake parts for it off ebay one piece at a time over a few months. All BRAND NEW OLD STOCK, for pennies of what I would have paid at one of the AMC Rambler supply places around the country. Paid $14 for an NORS (New Old Replacement Stock) water pump where they are $65 for a rebuilt. Front wheel cyl are about $45 each, got a pair on eBay (NOS) for $30.

When I first went looking I found nothing, then I started finding the AMC specialty stores, awesome, at least I know where to get them, but damn they were expensive. I kept looking, and they started turning up every week or so I got another part. That is why they call it a search, because it takes a while.

Come on now, there are zillions of those lids out there. But you won't find it in an afternoon on the net or with a few phone calls. It isn't like looking for a pair of small block Chevy headers, you won't find it at the corner store. Just multi task dude, work on another part of the car WHILE you are searching for another lid.

One will turn up when you least expect it, relax, the search is one of the funnest parts of building an old car.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 05-01-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

By the way DBM, this pedal at the link you posted is DAMN interesting!

http://store.bobdrake.com/b-2454-a.html

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.