Hot Rod Forum banner

trunk lid

5K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  shine 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Wescott's Auto in Oregon? I bought a trunk lid for a 40 ford coupe from them and it does not fit. I took it back and had one of the guys look at it and they said it was actually a 39 convertible and they would make it right. Well, then I got acall from the owner and he said it was actually the correct part and the car was at fault. I am supposed to take the old deck lid there and a template of the car so he can prove it (I guess), sounds to me like I am bout to be screwed. My question is - has anyone else had any dealings with these people? Anyone know what my recourses would be. Thanks for any help you can give me

#2 ·
HaydenP said:
Does anyone know anything about Wescott's Auto in Oregon? I bought a trunk lid for a 40 ford coupe from them and it does not fit. I took it back and had one of the guys look at it and they said it was actually a 39 convertible and they would make it right. Well, then I got acall from the owner and he said it was actually the correct part and the car was at fault. I am supposed to take the old deck lid there and a template of the car so he can prove it (I guess), sounds to me like I am bout to be screwed. My question is - has anyone else had any dealings with these people? Anyone know what my recourses would be. Thanks for any help you can give me
The 39 and 40 lid are the same (other then the latch mount) so that isn't going to make a difference.

Here is my question for you, why are you changing it? Why do you need a new deck lid?

There IS a chance that your body is out of whack. Your old metal lid may even have been bent to fit the bent body, who knows. (likely, who knows)

How is it fitting, what is wrong with the fit.

Brian

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The old deck lid was pretty rusted and in my attempts to fix it I bungeled it enough that I decided to just bite it and get a new one. It did fit pretty well though, and at the time I had seperated the inner shell from the outer skin so I am using that inner shell to compare with. This new fiberglass lid is bowed up (right under the back window) enough that there is about an 1 1/2 inch air gap into the trunk area, which also makes it not quite wide enough up there. I tried to raise the metal under the window and almost messed up the entire top of the car. I'm just lost right now on what to do next. Thanks

#4 ·
Ahhhh, not fitting like that sounds like the lid for sure! Have you sent them a photo showing the fit there?
WITHOUT A DOUBT, the 39 and the 40 lid are the same in how they fit there, it is the same roof. Convertible or not, as I remember they are the same lids.

Wait a minute, the 39 had a rumble seat! It was a completely different lid if it was a convertible. But the coupes were all the same.

Brian

#6 ·
The last time I talked to him (Wescotts) he told me that his lid was right and seemed to have a bit of an attitude about it. Yes, I do need to take pics of it but I would have to get the lid back to do that and if I do, I'm stuck with it. (may be so now too, I don't know).

#7 ·
Wescott is a glass car and parts for it may or may not fit a steel car of the same vintage. Case in point: I have a 34 Ford 3 window coupe that is a Gibbon body. I messed up the inner fenders when I was fitting my front end. Gibbon was already out of business so I ordered a set from Wescott. They didn't fit too well and required some cutting and adding of fiberglass and eventually were acceptable. In the end however it would have been much easier to fix my original ones. FWIW my deck lid didn't fit worth a flip either and it was from the same manufacturer as the body. I spent no less than 100 hours adding to one side while taking away from the other, and also reforming the upper and lower edges. The deck lid was a total disaster and I should have sent the car back, but I didn't.

Vince

#9 ·
I still don't understand though - if the body is at fault then why did the original fit so good, why do the aftermarket fenders (glass) fit good, why do the doors fit good. Not saying it's not the body just don't understand. I'm thinking now to just tell him I want my money back ($1300) and go to Drakes - they now have an all steel one for $1500. (Imagine that wouldnt fly too well with Wescott though)
BTW, thanks for all the help I appreciate it and keep it coming.

#10 ·
you have to remember that a 40 convert was most likely abused a lot. no telling how many people have sat on the rear of the body over the years. not saying wescott cant have a bad one but i have never had one from them. before you spend a ton of money i would do more research on it. be nice to find another car to do a side by side comparison.

#11 ·
HaydenP said:
I still don't understand though - if the body is at fault then why did the original fit so good, why do the aftermarket fenders (glass) fit good, why do the doors fit good. Not saying it's not the body just don't understand. I'm thinking now to just tell him I want my money back ($1300) and go to Drakes - they now have an all steel one for $1500. (Imagine that wouldnt fly too well with Wescott though)
BTW, thanks for all the help I appreciate it and keep it coming.
You REALLY need to post some photos,

Brian

#12 ·
Why would any one use a glass deck on a steel car in the first place ?????Especially a 40 ford,one of the most sought after coupes there is. I'd fix the old one or get a an original used one,they're around.I've yet to see an after market part that fits as good as an original...
Glass is for boats... :mad:

#14 ·
deadbodyman said:
Why would any one use a glass deck on a steel car in the first place ?????Especially a 40 ford,one of the most sought after coupes there is. I'd fix the old one or get a an original used one,they're around.I've yet to see an after market part that fits as good as an original...
Glass is for boats... :mad:
Here, Here!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Personally, boats and race cars, that is the ONLY place I would put a glass part. Just a personal opinion.

Brian

#15 ·
I really do agreee that a steel replacement would have been much better, but at the time I couldn't find any (tried the usual places: ebay, craigs list, google, etc but none found) I didn't find this place until just recently - wish I could have. But its a done deal now and I have to work with what I've got. Trying to find pics so everyone can see what I mean. thanks again for the replies, all help is appreciated.
Hayden

#17 ·
Okay, that worked. The first pic is basically just the back of the car - shows no top damage, hasn't been wrecked or beat. In the next pic, the car has been primered so the grey portion is the part under the window the black is the trunk lid showing it is raised in the middle of the top straight edge. The last pic is another view to hopefully shed a little more.

#18 ·
I purchased a Trunk Lid from Wescott's for my '35, and it did not fit. I used original Trunk Hinges, and it fit good at the front, however the rear corners would not fit-it was either high in the middle, or it was low in the corners, no matter what I did to adjust, tweek or shim. The workmanship of the part is very good, but I had to do some MAJOR slicing and dicing along with Fiberglass work to get it right.

I attributed it to poor quality control at Ford- :rolleyes:

#19 ·
HaydenP said:
Trying to attach pictures, lets see if this works.
You need to reduce your picture size. Go to the menu on your camera and change it. You will also get a LOT more photos on your chip if you do this. As you have it, ONE of your photos is taking the room of 20. I am surprised you were even able to load it here.

Get this down and you will be a lot better off. Photos and the internet go together, when I think of how much faster I could have learned things 30 years ago if I had what we have here.....

Brian

#20 ·
Wescott's is the best of a lot of 'glass after market car part suppliers most are ho hum. I have their fenders on my AVATAR car and I can assure you that there was much work to do on them to make them fit right. First of all, they were warped from continued curing after the were removed from the mold. I bolted them on anyhow as best possible, used a bunch of weight, bungee cords, rope and clamps then turned on some heat lamps under a tarp. They came close after about a week of "playing" with them. Next, the fit at the running boards was just plain bad. These had to be glassed, steel reinforcing added then ground to fit. I had looked at repro steel front fenders - and they were even worse.

DURING FITTING

ABOUT DONE

But with that said, I would pursue an OEM trunk lid. This vintage car ('35-'40 is my time line) was/is a major PITA to fit body parts even using Henry's original pieces

Dave W

#21 ·
Irelands child said:
But with that said, I would pursue an OEM trunk lid. This vintage car ('35-'40 is my time line) was/is a major PITA to fit body parts even using Henry's original pieces

Dave W
You said a mouthful Dave. :thumbup:

Vince

#22 ·
Wow Dave,

I had no idea that you had so much trouble-gee, I have a lot to look forward to! I know a lot has been discussed regarding the curing of Fiberglass parts and how the vendors make/cure them. I had considered using JB Donaldson Fenders on my car due to how they cure them, however I still beleive Wescott's to be the best-I'm concerned now- :sweat:

#23 ·
i've dealt with glass cars for years. they are a pia but all are. a glass fender is not going to lay in the floor and keep it's shape. period . even building with all steel is a pia . these cars were pos's when new. the number one tool on the assembly line was a 2x4 . jb uses tooling gel for his cars ( vinyl ester ) and makes on hell of a fine car .

#24 ·
shine said:
i've dealt with glass cars for years. they are a pia but all are. a glass fender is not going to lay in the floor and keep it's shape. period . even building with all steel is a pia . these cars were pos's when new. the number one tool on the assembly line was a 2x4 . jb uses tooling gel for his cars ( vinyl ester ) and makes on hell of a fine car .
Thanks for the insight Shine-do you know what type of Resin Wescott's uses, or any insight into who makes a better part (Wescott's or Donaldson?)?

#25 ·
vinylester is the holy grail of resin. i have never seen it but have heard jb has a body setting out back in the sun thats been there for years. don (da34guy) has most likely been by there. wescott builds a nice car as does jb . be a tuff call between them. but as with every business people get older and sell out or turn over to the kids. we all know what happens then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.