trunk lid - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trunk lid

Does anyone know anything about Wescott's Auto in Oregon? I bought a trunk lid for a 40 ford coupe from them and it does not fit. I took it back and had one of the guys look at it and they said it was actually a 39 convertible and they would make it right. Well, then I got acall from the owner and he said it was actually the correct part and the car was at fault. I am supposed to take the old deck lid there and a template of the car so he can prove it (I guess), sounds to me like I am bout to be screwed. My question is - has anyone else had any dealings with these people? Anyone know what my recourses would be. Thanks for any help you can give me

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenP
Does anyone know anything about Wescott's Auto in Oregon? I bought a trunk lid for a 40 ford coupe from them and it does not fit. I took it back and had one of the guys look at it and they said it was actually a 39 convertible and they would make it right. Well, then I got acall from the owner and he said it was actually the correct part and the car was at fault. I am supposed to take the old deck lid there and a template of the car so he can prove it (I guess), sounds to me like I am bout to be screwed. My question is - has anyone else had any dealings with these people? Anyone know what my recourses would be. Thanks for any help you can give me
The 39 and 40 lid are the same (other then the latch mount) so that isn't going to make a difference.

Here is my question for you, why are you changing it? Why do you need a new deck lid?

There IS a chance that your body is out of whack. Your old metal lid may even have been bent to fit the bent body, who knows. (likely, who knows)

How is it fitting, what is wrong with the fit.

Brian
Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. The old deck lid was pretty rusted and in my attempts to fix it I bungeled it enough that I decided to just bite it and get a new one. It did fit pretty well though, and at the time I had seperated the inner shell from the outer skin so I am using that inner shell to compare with. This new fiberglass lid is bowed up (right under the back window) enough that there is about an 1 1/2 inch air gap into the trunk area, which also makes it not quite wide enough up there. I tried to raise the metal under the window and almost messed up the entire top of the car. I'm just lost right now on what to do next. Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Ahhhh, not fitting like that sounds like the lid for sure! Have you sent them a photo showing the fit there?
WITHOUT A DOUBT, the 39 and the 40 lid are the same in how they fit there, it is the same roof. Convertible or not, as I remember they are the same lids.

Wait a minute, the 39 had a rumble seat! It was a completely different lid if it was a convertible. But the coupes were all the same.

Brian
Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

wescotts is one of the most respected glass mfg out there. their cars and parts are top shelf. you need to post some pics.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

The last time I talked to him (Wescotts) he told me that his lid was right and seemed to have a bit of an attitude about it. Yes, I do need to take pics of it but I would have to get the lid back to do that and if I do, I'm stuck with it. (may be so now too, I don't know).
Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Last photo:

Wescott is a glass car and parts for it may or may not fit a steel car of the same vintage. Case in point: I have a 34 Ford 3 window coupe that is a Gibbon body. I messed up the inner fenders when I was fitting my front end. Gibbon was already out of business so I ordered a set from Wescott. They didn't fit too well and required some cutting and adding of fiberglass and eventually were acceptable. In the end however it would have been much easier to fix my original ones. FWIW my deck lid didn't fit worth a flip either and it was from the same manufacturer as the body. I spent no less than 100 hours adding to one side while taking away from the other, and also reforming the upper and lower edges. The deck lid was a total disaster and I should have sent the car back, but I didn't.

Vince
Old 04-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

I 2nd what Shine said, and I have used their deck lids on 40's numerous times and they fit like a glove.
Prep and shoot.
Sounds like you got bigger problems! Like a body outta rack.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

I still don't understand though - if the body is at fault then why did the original fit so good, why do the aftermarket fenders (glass) fit good, why do the doors fit good. Not saying it's not the body just don't understand. I'm thinking now to just tell him I want my money back ($1300) and go to Drakes - they now have an all steel one for $1500. (Imagine that wouldnt fly too well with Wescott though)
BTW, thanks for all the help I appreciate it and keep it coming.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

you have to remember that a 40 convert was most likely abused a lot. no telling how many people have sat on the rear of the body over the years. not saying wescott cant have a bad one but i have never had one from them. before you spend a ton of money i would do more research on it. be nice to find another car to do a side by side comparison.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenP
I still don't understand though - if the body is at fault then why did the original fit so good, why do the aftermarket fenders (glass) fit good, why do the doors fit good. Not saying it's not the body just don't understand. I'm thinking now to just tell him I want my money back ($1300) and go to Drakes - they now have an all steel one for $1500. (Imagine that wouldnt fly too well with Wescott though)
BTW, thanks for all the help I appreciate it and keep it coming.
You REALLY need to post some photos,

Brian
Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Why would any one use a glass deck on a steel car in the first place ?????Especially a 40 ford,one of the most sought after coupes there is. I'd fix the old one or get a an original used one,they're around.I've yet to see an after market part that fits as good as an original...
Glass is for boats...
Old 04-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

give bob at owens salvage a call. can probably get a hold of an original one for you, in good condition and a hell of a lot cheaper

owens salvage co.
3725 us hwy 83
wellington tx. 79095
800-798-2581 toll free
806-447-2581
806-447-2449 fax
owenssalvage@arn.net
www.owenssalvage.com
Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Why would any one use a glass deck on a steel car in the first place ?????Especially a 40 ford,one of the most sought after coupes there is. I'd fix the old one or get a an original used one,they're around.I've yet to see an after market part that fits as good as an original...
Glass is for boats...
Here, Here!!

Personally, boats and race cars, that is the ONLY place I would put a glass part. Just a personal opinion.

Brian
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

I really do agreee that a steel replacement would have been much better, but at the time I couldn't find any (tried the usual places: ebay, craigs list, google, etc but none found) I didn't find this place until just recently - wish I could have. But its a done deal now and I have to work with what I've got. Trying to find pics so everyone can see what I mean. thanks again for the replies, all help is appreciated.
Hayden

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.