Hot Rod Forum banner

Trunk Lid

4K views 34 replies 4 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a 64, 65 tempest GTO has the same trunk lid or is there
a style change. I purchased a 1964 GTO car is very good except i am thinking the trunk lid is an after market find does not want to close quite right
:welcome:

#3 · (Edited)
I havent seen the difference but what cole said is correct. I have a diehard pontiac guy in wrightsville ,pa who I bought a ton of parts from and he said the trunk lid was different . He said the slope is different as cole said.The 65 is a little taller IIRC.
The crease in the upright is different also.(body line )
I remember because I was asking about the lockcylinder that was missing in mine.
Lots of stuff is 64 only. Makes it a little tougher . The 64 was my favorite years for lots of cars.
The lock cylinder is the same but the lock retainer is different.
Plus there were 2 different styles of lock retainers for the 64

#6 ·
Thanks guys have had a devil of time getting lock to hit strike without a lot of modification. So took trunk off hinges and laid it on body and it looks like it's different across the back. As hard as these are to find guess we will do a little modification. I have purchased a lot of parts from Ames Perf

#7 ·
Fathertime35 said:
Thanks guys have had a devil of time getting lock to hit strike without a lot of modification. So took trunk off hinges and laid it on body and it looks like it's different across the back. As hard as these are to find guess we will do a little modification. I have purchased a lot of parts from Ames Perf
:thumbup: That's the area glad you are getting it going now glad to be of some help. :D

Cole

#9 ·
Post some photos. I have owned quite a few of these 64-65 A bodies (Buick Skylarks) and still have one in my garage. The trunk lids fit very poorly from the factory, these are not 2010 cars where fit and finish is so good. They often fit REALLY bad.

If your car has had a new repro rubber seal added the trunk lid WILL NOT FIT. I don't mean "could be the trouble" or "maybe the repro rubber is the problem" I mean if it has new rubber that IS one of the problems, PERIOD, END OF STORY.

Fitting one of these lids under the best of circumstances is taxing and even the best bodyman is going to have a lot of work ahead of him.

So before you jump to conclusions about this lid being repro or what ever you are thinking, POST SOME PHOTOS.

Did you know that the factory lid most always is low in the center across the leading edge of the trunk lid? Yep, but by the rear window they are usually low there, sometimes WAY low. Did you know that the factory used a large hammer to hit up on the inner structure of those lids putting big dents in the inner structure to make them fit on the outside as "good" as they did?

Yep, after restoring a few Skylarks and fixing dents in the inside of the trunk lid inner structure it dawned on me that EVERYONE of them had these dents!

POST SOME PHOTOS!

Brian

#10 ·
Thanks Brian
I was going thru pictures of 64's and none that i noticed had holes across the back for a trim piece also. The lid hits on the back corners will post pictures as soon as i go get new sd card for camera.
When i bought this car this is what was on it plus it has a glass hood which i can live with for now as i just would like to fix for crusin. Have all new interior
working on outside.
Thanks again

Bruce

#14 ·
I have to tell you LaTech someone spent a LOT of time making that lid fit on that Goat, they did NOT fit that well from the factory! I have done a number of these A bodies and owned some super original cars, they didn't fit that good, you can bet your life they weren't even close!

Brian

#15 ·
Fathertime35 said:
Brian
Here are the pictures of the trunk and how it sets on the body. Haven't had a chance yet to get over and see a 64 trunk but it looks different from other photos
Your pictures are so small they are pretty useless as far as seeing anything of detail. A stone stock original lid with new repro rubber will fit that bad, no joke. Before you throw the baby out with the bath water post some more photos that are a little bigger. I could swipe these and enlarge them I guess and I will do that later but right now I am running out of the house. :D

Brian

#16 ·
number 2 pic looks pretty conclusive. the bottom is lower than the bottom and the top edge is bubbled and higher than the top.
There is a 46 year old used one on e bay right now that looks as though it would clean up with out to much problem.
I cant see the one you have as being OEM. no way were the OEM 's that frieken bad
See pic

Attachments

#17 ·
did you also notice the trim is on the wrong body line.It should line up at the edge of the lid with the tail light bezel pieces.Even if the bottom edge is lined up still has a huge difference in the arc of the lid from the front to the back when compared to the trunk opening

#19 ·
I have since worked on the trunk floor and the trunk latch and such, mine seems to have adjusted pretty square. These pics were taken when the car was being loaded in arizona.I have done a buttload of work on it since then

#22 ·
Fathertime35 said:
Thanks Brian

I see by looking at other pictures on the ultimate GTO site the lid looks the same but looks like a bad fit. Theres a 64 3 mile from me when the guy get home going over to look at it. Burce
The 65 lids dont look the same but if you are comparing the shape and fit of 64 to 64 yes I would say they arent perfect. I still think yours is not oem. It just doesnt look to fit as well as the original despite the poor oem fit.

#25 ·
I haven't spent a ton of time but I can't even find an AM lid available for your car. Listen, I can't make it clear enough that an original lid CAN fit that bad.

I wish I had photos of what my lid fit like on my Gran Sport when I first installed the repro rubber, it fit like CRAP. And this was a lid that was done properly where I fit it perfectly then left it there while being painted and then installed the rubber. Many cars get the lids painted off the car, a lid that was never even prefit to perfection and then put on the car with new rubber, OF COURSE it isn't going to fit!

Don't loose hope yet that is all I can say.

Brian

#26 ·
latech said:
did you also notice the trim is on the wrong body line.It should line up at the edge of the lid with the tail light bezel pieces.Even if the bottom edge is lined up still has a huge difference in the arc of the lid from the front to the back when compared to the trunk opening

You are absolutely right, there is something ugly going on there.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.