Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - trunk lid lip repair.
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I cut off the rusted area on the outside of the lid and sealed innerstucture patch where it was laped and reprimed with epoxy. This should hopefully keep any water from coming though. I don't think water is a real issue on this trunk design anyway with the way the butcher job that was on it held up. I think it rusted do to the fact this was a daily driver for the frist 9 yrs of its life by a sales man. That means it saw a lot of mn road salt and snow. Then I put the outer patch on and glued the bottom lip this should seal it and hold it in place. This way I dont have to put any seam sealer on the lip and it should look just like factory when done. Now all i have left is to finish welding on the out side patch. Put it back on the car to check my side gaps and fill and epoxy it. I will have about 10-12 hours in it when done. Which may sound like a lot of time to put into a trunk lid but this is a one year only lid and only 1200 of these where built in 64 so good luck finding a nice one today. This should look just as good as new when I get done with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	68246   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	68247   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	99