Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - trunk lid problems
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 06:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron
Where do I start with this problem? The deck lid sits 1/4" above the quarter panel on the driver's side and at least 1/8" on the drivers side. The latch is adjusted down as far as possible but it seems like the hinges are holding the lid up too high. Look at the attached pictures. I have masking tape on all the edges for chip protection. I don't have the rubber trunk bumpers installed yet. Any guidance is appreciated.

Ron
OK ,so I retract my shim statement...the mans deck is alresdy sitting to high so shims will do nothing but make it worse anyway... and we'll be argueing a point about opinions that wont help him at all......so back to the point.... dissassemble all connecting hardware hinges & latch etc...Place the deck in the hole ,if the fit is good and gaps can be acceptable adjust hight with the bumpers.....(use masking tape to hold it in place)...if you can get it to fit like like this.....your ok ,no bent hinges and the deck isnt twisted now all you got to do is move the hinges to the deck (by what ever means you find fitting) removing torsion bars or springs will be a big help(reinstall them after the latch) for an easier job. Ok so once the hinges have been adjusted to the posision of the deck,the latch should just fall in place,adjust it by simply latching it to to deck (while opend),close the deck,tape it in position,have the midget tighten the latch from the inside."Simple" no need for shims or beating it with a sledge hammer (hehehe) we've come a long way since those day's (I thought) But all & all you've learned a good leason on fit & finish allways fit before you finish....You wont forget this lesson so its a win win