Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - trunk lid problems
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

shims (shivers) also work well with old wooden boats...as the timbers swell and contract they are shimmed to take up the slack hence the expression "shiver me timbers" state of the art technology back then..if I see a car with shims in the doors or the deck I'll walk on by and buy something else and remember that dealers name and never waste my time looking at another one of his cars...I'm just a new guy(35 yrs) but I've never seen a shim in a factory door or deck...Fenders ,yes but they cant be seen..If a cars older and has no adjustments I'll make them adjustable and let everyone ask "how'd you do that"? Some I'll tell...the ones that'll listen.I put 2000 grand am deck hinges in my 48 plymouth with 4 gas filled holder uppers useing this method...it works ....and no shims.But thats besides the point the first step when a problem like this arises is to see if it fits without any obstructions the choice of how to make it fit all depends on this and is up to you and your abilities...even if a shim is painted black there will be the tell tail gap between the deck and the hinge...if your deck still has a 1/4" on one side and 1/8" on the other it may be twisted and can be twisted back and lifting it till it bends the inner structure is also a pretty good way to get the deck back down but you could be in for a lot of trouble if you dont check the fit without anything holding it on FIRST... It could also be the 1/4s are not right so start at the beginning and dont assume ANYTHING....Keep this in mind 75% of all cars have damage before thier 5yrs old so imagine how much hidden damage can be found in an older car.This car(camero) had the same problem ..the rear of the deck was up 1/2" and the cause was due to someone leaning on it while the quarter's were off..The deck wasnt up at all ,the coner of the car was down....wierd things happen...you can see how it was fixed...The burn marks on the grand am hinges I put on the 48 are clearly visible and show where the heat was applied to the hinges,the heat never got close to the inner skin because I was carefull and did it before paint.... hinges can also be bent cold by supporting the curve of the hinge with a 2x4 cut at the proper length... then lifting or pushing the deck...the latch is the least of your trouble....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2085 (Small).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	40889   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4260 (Small).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	40890   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2037 (Small).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	40891   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5288 (Small).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	40892  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 09-26-2009 at 09:51 AM.