Trunk lid vibrates from Sub-Woofer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Trunk lid vibrates from Sub-Woofer

I have a 68 LeMans (GTO Clone) Convertible and have mounted an Infinity Basslink Sub in the trunk. It sounds good, but vibrates the trunk lid a lot. I don't notice it much from the drivers seat, but from outside the car it makes kind of a buzzing noise. I can stop/minimize it by putting my hand on the trunk lid, but kind of hard to keep my hand there while driving.

Any suggestions (aside from removing/turning off/down the sub) about what I can do to reduce the vibration of the trunk lid?

Thanks, Joel

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

check the weather seal. If its hard/compressed and not pushing up against the lid when the lid is closed, replacing it may solve your problem.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Last photo:

Reduce the base? It really annoying when you can hear the thump thump of an over bass stereo system from several blocks away.

OK, now that I have vented, you can try some insulation on the underside of the deck lid. It will have to be some type of insulation like Dynamat. Bubble wrap type insulation will not have enough mass to dampen the sound.

Vince
Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Some trunk lids have holes in them like a hood. My son has a sub in his car and used styrofoam slipped in between the inside layer and outside just thick enough to not fall out but not so much that it gave the lid a warped look.

Personally, I hate the feeling of someone tickling my inner ear drum with a feather. You keep it up my man, and you'll be like me needing hearing aids at 60. My ears have been damaged by loud rock, open headers, and an M-60 machine gun in a helicopter. You might snicker at me now, but you'll remember me when it happens to you. Fortunately the gov. sends me a check each mo. for hearing loss and diabetes. I couldn't hear my engine ping if my life depended on it!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^now thats one bad *** reply right there, open headers and a m-60 machine gun in a helicopter...

but use Styrofoam, works great as a vibration dampener.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Dang - I guess I missed my chance for a gov't check for my hearing loss .

Dynamat works. So do the bass knob and the off button

Dave W
Old 07-10-2010, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

I hear the trunk seals vibrating all the time. On cars setting at the traffic light about 150 ft. from the shop. Thru closed doors and machinery running.. TURN THE D****D THING DOWN>> The shop only listens to oldies/country/rock!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 PM

"(aside from removing/turning off/down the sub)"

I guess I should have put that in bold print.

I already have very poor hearing, but the hearing dmg is not from listening to bass from my subwoofer. I don't play it super loud and it not a car that you hear thumping down the road from a 1/2 mile away, but you might hear a buzzing noise if you are near the car with the stereo on, even if it's not turned up loud.

If I need help removing it, or turning it down, I'll let you know. In the meantime I appreciate the responses on how to minimize the buzzing.

The trunk seal is good and soft/snug.

It seems to be vibrating the outer skin. I would think that the most effective thing to help the problem would be to put something between the reinforcements and the skin, but not sure what to use/how to do.

If I use something that expands, I am afraid that it will push up on the skin and make a hump. Spray foam of some sort would be fairly easy to get in, but probably just about impossible to remove if it created a problem.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

3M Automix, Fusor (and Im certain other companies make it as well) have expandable foams available. Some will expand and there is not a whole lot you can do about it, and can even warp your skin. DONT USE THAT STUFF.

Instead they make some foams specifically for things like between bracing and outer skins. Sorry I cant recall the specific p/n for the 3M stuff, but it works very very well in my mind. Its a soft, airy lightweight foam once it comes out and dries. Just put about 1" beads of it at certain points between the bracing and trunk skin.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

8463 I think it is. As I said, Im SURE there has gotta be cheaper equivalents that dont require that specifc automix gun to use.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Last photo:

Dynamat, or if yor real cheap go to Home Depot and look for a product called Peel N Seal.

Before someone jumps in, I know Dynamat and Peel N Seal are not the same thing. .

Vince
Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Like I said earlier, thin slices of styrofoam. It works for my son. Even cut from a cup from the grab and go store when you get a soda to go. You pay for the cup anyway, why not use it and get your money's worth?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

boom boom boom NO ! !

I had a buddy that had the stock Ford 427 cast iron headers in his 58 Ford 2 door hardtop, when the Pipes were disconnected from the headers he would get a harmonic vibration at about 4 K rpm that would vibrate the roof, door skins, qtr panels. Another guy I knew was a mechanic at a used car lot and slept at the lot in his Rv with his dog to guard the cars at night. At 2 PM a kid showed up every night next door at the drive in to pick up his girl friend after work and parked his mini truck next to the fence across from the RV After a couple of weeks of this Gene went out and sprayed the hose thru the fence and filled the pickup bed with water, No more booom boom, just a quite bublbe- bubble bubble When the kid came out with his his girle friend he asked her if it had rained that day or he thought he had parked where the sprinkler systems had come on. I am an old timer that doesn't like the boom boom from a couple of blocks away but really enjoys the sound of a hemi with ported and polished heads, a set of tuned headers at Bonneville that you can still hear that sweet sound when the car passes the 3 mile marker,
Old 07-11-2010, 09:11 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I like to set off the car alarms with the side pipes. Horse power does that ya know... and oh yes covers up the noisy kid with the radio up at the red light.
I think text messaging was invented because of side pipes, more exhaust humor ... That sweet sound of power .......... nice!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Maybe these guys can help....www.afroengineering.com

well, the joke is on me.....there really is a link... LOL

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.