Trunk mounted battery help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trunk mounted battery help

Ok, I have searched through the forums and I'm having a hard time finding the solution to my problem. When trying to start my car I'm just getting a small click and that's about it from the starter, I know it's trying because I can see the fan move just a little every time I click it. The battery is mounted in the trunk and run through a ford starter solenoid wired the way my kit from MAD electrical shows. I have the engine grounded to the body from the starter mounting bolt to the firewall and I have a few grounds going from the body to the frame frame/engine etc.. I hooked the battery straight to the starter and bypassed the ford starter solenoid just for the process of elimination and the starter turned with no problems just like it has in the past before I mounted the battery in the trunk. So from what it looks like I've got enough power flow from the battery and the ground is doing it's job. I'm under the assumption that maybe I have a bad ford starter solenoid? This is how I have the wiring on the ford solenoid... Left side on large connection is power from battery as well as a cable with fusible link to the terminal block which is connected to the alternator and accessories. right side large connection is the power wire going to the starter. On the small connection I have a wire going to the starter that is also linked to the "start" on the ignition. the kit said to just wire to the start wire and not to the starter but when i did this nothing happened (maybe this is a sign that its wired wrong) I have tried swapping the wire going to the starter to either side of the ford solenoid and get the same result on either post. I have also tried swapping which side of the ford solenoid that the power is coming from but I'm having the exact same result on either side. I've checked to make sure all nuts and bolts are tight and just can't seem to figure this one out however if it is the ford solenoid what would you suggest for a new replacement? I'm currently using an accel solenoid from Jegs. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Last photo:

Some suggestions.

Positive wire to starter is too small, need minimum 1/0.

Frame is insufficient ground, needs dedicated ground wire from battery (-) to engine block minimum 1/0.

If battery is good and starter is good, it's one of the two above.

I would not be using an Accell solenoid, get one from NAPA. Where did you purchase the solenoid your using?

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 11-10-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

Sounds like the solenoid to me, you may be only getting a momentary closure of the contact when you energize the solenoid.

There could be something funny happening with the body of the solenoid when you energize it but it sounds like you have checked that ground.

If it turns over when you bypass the solenoid, you've got enough current to drive the starter sufficiently. Got a picture of this solenoid mounted in place?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Has the car ever started with your setup, or is this a new installation ?
Has the solenoid itself got a good ground ?
I have mine wired exactly as MAD show in their diagrams
and itīs worked fine.

My solenoid, rear mounted.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Last photo:

Good point Malc, the solenoid DOES need to be grounded. .

Vince
Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

well.. I feel like a complete idiot, I checked everything but the ground on the solenoid... I didn't even bother thinking of how it grounds when I installed it, I grounded it and now everything is working perfect. Thanks guys I really appreciate the help! By the way, malc I really like the way you have that set up, I might have to steal your design for my trunk! Thanks again!!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Last photo:

Glad you got it worked out.

Vince
Old 11-17-2009, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972
Ok, I have searched through the forums and I'm having a hard time finding the solution to my problem. When trying to start my car I'm just getting a small click and that's about it from the starter, I know it's trying because I can see the fan move just a little every time I click it. The battery is mounted in the trunk and run through a ford starter solenoid wired the way my kit from MAD electrical shows. I have the engine grounded to the body from the starter mounting bolt to the firewall and I have a few grounds going from the body to the frame frame/engine etc.. I hooked the battery straight to the starter and bypassed the ford starter solenoid just for the process of elimination and the starter turned with no problems just like it has in the past before I mounted the battery in the trunk. So from what it looks like I've got enough power flow from the battery and the ground is doing it's job. I'm under the assumption that maybe I have a bad ford starter solenoid? This is how I have the wiring on the ford solenoid... Left side on large connection is power from battery as well as a cable with fusible link to the terminal block which is connected to the alternator and accessories. right side large connection is the power wire going to the starter. On the small connection I have a wire going to the starter that is also linked to the "start" on the ignition. the kit said to just wire to the start wire and not to the starter but when i did this nothing happened (maybe this is a sign that its wired wrong) I have tried swapping the wire going to the starter to either side of the ford solenoid and get the same result on either post. I have also tried swapping which side of the ford solenoid that the power is coming from but I'm having the exact same result on either side. I've checked to make sure all nuts and bolts are tight and just can't seem to figure this one out however if it is the ford solenoid what would you suggest for a new replacement? I'm currently using an accel solenoid from Jegs. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
The car is a what? If this isn't a Ford that needs an external solenoid, just get rid of it. If it is a car that needs the solenoid then replace it.

The solenoid is just a contactor type switch for high amperages and is activated by a coil. The contacts carry a lot of current and eventually go bad by either welding one side to the other or becoming burnt.

In the welding case either the contacts become stuck and it will not release when the switched coil is shut off so the starter keeps on running, or the contacts from one side or the other gets ripped off and a thru connection no longer exists when the solenoid is turned on so nothing happens to the starter may partially engage but not turn the engine.

When burnt and rough there is a point where some to none of the current will flow and the starter may partially engage but not turn, to nothing happens.

Bogie
Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Last photo:

Hey Bogie, the method we are talking about uses a Ford solenoid to relocate the battery to the trunk. This way the heavy positive battery cable running from rear to front is only hot when the starter is cranking. See this explanation of the system.

Vince

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.