Hot Rod Forum banner

Trunk Weatherstripping / qtr window question

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I have a couple of questions, the first is on the trunk molding which way is the right way. The other question is what do you use to hold the guide track to the front of the qtr window. The car is a 72 Nova.

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't quote this as gospel but I believe you have the trunk weatherstrip oriented correctly but its upside-down. Flip it over and see if it doesn't fit nicer that way. Keep the edge with more material toward the outside.

On quarter window front edge chrome strips- you could use windshield urethane, but they would be a unit forever. Same goes for attachment tape. Don't use butyl. Originally those may have been just glued with weatherstrip adhesive. If you have an old one, look to see if that chrome is installed with a rubber strip like a vent window or door glass is. If its mounted like those, you'll need some rubber stripping the right thickness and made for this purpose. Consult a local glass shop if thats the case, and show what you have.

#3 ·
I believe you are right, that looks like the one on my Gran Sport and the fat area fits into the channel.

I would go window urethane. I have used a rubber tape they used from the factory and it just gives me the willies hammering that channel onto the glass forcing the metal to bend around it. :pain:

Brian

#5 ·
In looking at my pictures I am not sure if they will help you at all.:drunk:
I can't show you the end because it's glued down, but hope this does something for you. The big thing to remember is these are smashed flat where as yours is much fatter. Once you install it you will likely not even be able to shut the lid! What you can do is raise the striker up so the lid latches up way too high. Then after a few days bring it down, with these reproduction rubbers that seems to be the best way to smash them down.

Brian

Attachments

#6 ·
The window channel was originally installed with setting tape and yes, a soft face deadblow hammer works well for getting it back on.

There is a vendor on ebay with different thicknesses of tape, or I discovered the 3m double sided molding tape works too. It's a little more difficult to pound on with the glue wanting to stick...:(

#7 ·
Setting tape. Thank you. Didn't know what its called. The double face tape might be harder to trim also. I think I tried that on vent glass and it bunched up too easy being sticky. This quarter glass would need pretty thin setting tape from the looks of it.

#9 ·
Hey guys thanks for the help. I can't believe I didn't try this both ways. Looking at the pic I see what y'all are saying about it being upside down. As for the qtr windows I've got some setting tape 1/16 and 32 but both are to thick. I tried using the 32 but it cut it on both sides. I talked to chevy 2 yesterday and they are sending me a sample of what they think will work. I thought about using urethane but I also know how messy it is.
Again thanks for the help.

#13 ·
That rubber needs to be rolled in so the part hanging out over the outside is in the channel. The "flap" looking part should be horizontal.

Brian

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
I don't know about "shrinks" but it will compress some by the lid. But as I said, it is much thicker than the original and may require you to loosen the striker up as far as it will go and shut the lid. Leave it there for a few days then bring the striker down.

You will find that shutting the lid may be very hard, this is normal until the rubber gets compressed.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.