Truth or Myth - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomard
Thanks for that explanation, it was actually very cool, as your synopsis was close to what my little brain thought was the world .....

And the documentation that you do, I was a little overwhelmed, as it was my first attempt at a major motor, transmission & rear end rebuild, so I was learning as I went along, being careful and methodically keeping parts straight

Now, if I would have checked more (that I will forever on), I wouldn't even be changing this head gasket, but for someone that didn't know JACK, I am pretty pleased I have my 1980 smogger 350 sbc up and running well, with new Alum heads, cam, intake, carb, exhaust, removed all the smog stuff, rebuilt a 200r4 tranny & a working 3.73 rear end (was a 3.08).

I don't even know my quench, which really sucks .... as now I want to get more technical and squeeze every bit out HP/TQ out of it, but kind of hard when you are just guestimating CR!! Which by the way was 8.2:1 stock .... so I think I am up around 8.9:1 or there abouts, but don't know deck or exact bore size, YET!
I hear ya, on loosing track of taking dimensions. There always a rush to get it together to hear it run combined with an assumption that the machine shop and the parts all work together. Slowing down and keeping track of everything is just something you learn as you go, often the hard and expensive way.

Tight quench is more an insurance policy against detonation as it is a power generator. It does add some power but probably is more significant in that it helps prevent the loss of power to detonation. Detonation in and of itself can be more costly than lost power as it has the potential to hammer the engine to pieces. It's effect can be seen in rod bearings where its forces blow the oil out damaging or failing the bearing and journal. It certainly can be seen in piston and ring damage which will vary from heat failures where the piston is burnt thru the ring pack and or galling of the skirt to the cylinder wall, or holes literally blasted thru the piston crown.

The other thing a tight quench does is improve fuel economy, the extreme turbulence produced does an excellent job of breaking up fuel droplets and mixing them with the available air in the chamber. This mixing and turbulence insures that the available fuel is consumed and the the flame front burns faster increasing the early pressure and temperature rise in the cylinder. The first 90 degrees of movement after TDC firing is the most effective for producing power. So getting the burn over early and quickly adds a lot of efficiency to the engine.

Bogie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.