try to start and just CLICK - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 10:09 PM

Last journal entry: Rear End Disassembly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

try to start and just CLICK

i have an 83 yamaha venture royale. bike ran fine, i had a problem with a fuse one day, replaced it and it wouldnt start after that. after draining the battery a few times, im at a point now where it just cCLICKS even witha full battery.
i can tell that it is coming from the relay? next to the battery, the positive wire goes here and then another branch comes off the other end. not sure what its called but any help would be great.

if i can then get it turning im going to try and jump it or use some starting fluid.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Bike

Doc here,

Sounds like a starter solenoid..but not being familiar with that bike that's only a guess..

Read another thread, where the neutral safety switch played into ti and the bike would only crank while being held and off the stand?? dunno..

Try here..

http://www.venturers.org

Good luck!

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 08-16-2005 at 02:26 AM. Reason: link repair
Old 08-16-2005, 10:27 PM

Last journal entry: Rear End Disassembly
Last photo:

i was thinking the starter solenoid as well however, in the manual it says that with the battery out and the key on and ignition on the solenoid SHOULD click. that's exactly what it's doing. it almost seems like the battery isn't even hooked up, as if it's clicking like the battery is gone. but the battery is charged.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:39 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

How can anything click that is electrical with the battery out ?

BTW, nice bike. I had one myself.

I think you need a schematic then its an easy diagnosis.

Rich
Old 08-21-2005, 11:47 PM

check for shorts

I haven't had that problem with any bikes (yet?), but I have run into similar problems on cars. It has left me stumped a few times, but checking one thing at a time, and eliminating possibilities sure narrows it down quickly. One car had a bad battery cable. Same problem that you are describing. First, it blew a fuse, then the car would lose power spuratically, then, it would just click. I tried jumpstarting, and it still just clicked. In denial, I pulled the battery and had it tested. It was good. I pulled the starter, and it was good. The guy criss crossed one of the wires on the bench, and the started just clicked. He told me that it might be the cable. Sure enough, after replacing the starter and moving the cables around a bit, it just started right up. It didn't take long for it to do it again, so I just replaced the cable, and the problem is gone.

The problem with checking wires is that the break could be just fine enough that it shows good ohms, but won't carry a load. The tool for testing wires for load handling is fairly expensive, and it may only be used this once. That is why I pulled the components first, because I had no good way to check the wires. My guess is a bad wire, somewhere. Inspect all connections, then start replacing wires. Starting with the worst looking ones. There should only be a couple on your bike that would cause the problem you are having.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:07 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

It still could be a bad battery even though it is "charged". It could have a bad cell. Best bet would be to take it out and have it checked.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

I have a '94 Yamaha Virago 1100cc's, about 5 years ago I went to start it and of course it clicked and no starter action, pushed starter again and it started, slowly it got worse, several attempts at each start, This got worse over a period of 2-3 months. I figured solenoid or starter brushes so I pulled the solenoid trim cover to first test the solenoid and the big starter battery cable was loose enough I could turn the nut with my fingers so I tightened up the nuts it has been starting every time since. You might also check the the three safety switches, they are the side stand switch, neutral start safety switch and clutch safety switch. Sounds like a solenoid or starter brushes. How many miles are on the bike? You might also look at the fuse holders and make sure the contacts are good, not corroded and tight connections, corrosion is a big problem at all the connectors causing high resistance with the wiring on older bikes. What fuse did you have to replace? I never recomend starting fluid on any thing, if you need fluid there is something wrong that should be fixed, I have seen to many engines damaged from it over the years at the shops I used to work for. Good luck

Last edited by gcrmcc; 08-22-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

I agree it could be a bad battery. I have seen them where they can put out voltage but no current. Try putting a volt meter on the battery. Hit the starter. If it clicks and the battery voltage stays up its a bad connection. If the battery voltage drops to or close to 0 then its probably the battery. If the voltage drops to 8 volts or so then the starter is probably bad or something wont let the engine turn. Try removing the starter and putting voltage on it. See if it will run then. Hope this helps.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.