tryin to figure out the weight of truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 03:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tryin to figure out the weight of truck

hey again everybody! a buddy and me are sitting here arguing over how to read the sticker in my door jam. my 2wd s10's sticker says 3600lbs gvw and it says it can haul 1000lbs. so does that mean it ways 2600lbs empty or 4600lbs with a full load. any answers are appreciated.thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Maximum Gross Trailer Weight
Is the most weight that a particular vehicle can safely and reliably haul. To determine if you've reached the Maximum Gross Trailer Weight of a vehicle, take the total loaded trailer weight and add the combined weight of all passengers, cargo and equipment in the tow vehicle.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
Is the maximum recommended weight for a vehicle, including: the weight of the vehicle itself, fuel and other fluids, passengers, and all cargo.

Payload
Is the combined, maximum allowable weight of cargo, and passengers that the truck is designed to carry. To calculate the payload of a vehicle, take the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and subtract the Curb Weight.
Base Curb Weight
Is the weight of the vehicle including a full tank of fuel and all standard equipment. It does not include passengers, cargo or any optional equipment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who determines the GVWR?
Vehicle manufacturers set the GVWR for each vehicle based on standards set and enforced by Transport Canada.
How is the GVWR of a vehicle determined?
Each manufacturer determines the maximum acceptable weight limits for each vehicle by considering the combined weight of the strongest weight bearing components (the axles) and the weaker components (vehicle body, frame, suspension, and tires). When these are factored in, the manufacturer sets the vehicle's GVWR in accordance with the standards set by Transport Canada.

What happens when a vehicle is loaded above its GVWR?

Vehicles that operate above the GVWR are a potential safety hazard because the frame, suspension, brakes and tires are not designed for weights above the rating the manufacturer has set. Overloading a vehicle can also result in increased maintenance costs for the owner. The Motor Vehicle Act Regulations of British Columbia prohibit vehicle operators from loading their vehicle in excess of its GVWR.

How do I make sure I am not overloading my vehicle?
The easiest way to figure out how much weight your vehicle is designed to carry is to subtract the net weight of the vehicle (found in your owner's manual) from the GVWR (found on the driver's door post). The remaining number is the maximum weight your vehicle can safely carry. (it includes passengers, fuel and cargo.) Aftermarket access or equipment will increase the net weight of the vehicle. The weight of these accessories or equipment must be added to the net weight listed in your owner's manual. If you want to check the net weight of your vehicle, you can take your unloaded vehicle to ICBC Weigh Scale to be weighed.

What can I do if my loaded vehicle exceeds its GVWR?
You can reduce the amount of cargo you have in your vehicle or transfer a portion of your load to a trailer. Exceeding the GVWR by excessively overloading your vehicle is illegal, unsafe and can reduce the service life of the vehicle.

Can my vehicle be modified to carry more weight and increase the GVWR?
Modifications to a vehicle can only be done at facilities that are recognized by Transport Canada. All of these facilities must have a National Safety Mark from Transport Canada. To find out if a facility is certified to do these types of modifications, ask to see the Safety Mark. A company that modifies a vehicle to increase the GVWR must ensure the GVWR is increased in accordance with the original manufacturer's written recommendations, or within the load-carrying capacity of the vehicle's components, when the completed vehicle is loaded for its intended use.

This is an expensive option for light truck owners and because of the criteria associated with increasing a vehicle's GVWR, it may be difficult to find a facility willing to do the work.
What is the difference between the licensed weight shown on my Owner's Certificate and the GVWR stamped on the vehicle itself?
When a vehicle is licensed, the owner pays a licensing fee based on the weight they plan to carry and tow. This fee helps to offset the costs of maintaining B.C.'s roads and highways. An additional licensing fee can be paid to increase the amount a vehicle is licensed to carry and tow, provided that amount does not exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. These fees are in place to accommodate vehicles with a capacity to carry larger loads.
If my vehicle exceeds the GVWR and it becomes involved in an accident, will this affect my insurance coverage?
Your ICBC insurance coverage will not be affected. However, if the overweight problem contributed to the accident you could be found partially or totally responsible for the accident. This could result in an increase to your future premiums. If your vehicle's optional coverage has been purchased from a private insurer, you should check to find out the policies of that insurer in terms of coverage. Police may also ticket you for operating an overweight vehicle.
How much can my vehicle tow?
Check your owner's manual to find out your vehicle's towing capability. If you tow too much, you could damage your vehicle.
If I am towing a trailer (or other vehicle) should I include its weight in the GVWR of my vehicle?
No, you do not have to include the weight of your trailer into your vehicle's GVWR. However, you must consider the weight the load will put on your vehicle's trailer hitch or 5th wheel. The weight exerted on the hitch forms part of the load of the towing vehicle and should be included as part of the towing vehicle's load.
What about the weight of the load in the trailer? Does that count towards the GVWR of the vehicle towing the trailer?
Vehicles such as utility trailers, motor homes, and horse trailers usually have their own GVWR. You do not have to include the weight of the load in the trailer as part of the GVWR of the towing vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Know Your Weights
Courtesy of General Motors
Source: 1999 manufacturer vehicle brochures.
Other Material courtesy of ICBC.

Its canadian, but supplied by general motors. Most of the info still applies here. Brian
An easy way to know is go to a truck stop scales.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:35 AM

Last photo:

thanks for the info brian b. I guess theres more to it than I thought. Once I get it running I'll take to the commercial weigh station. thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

mMy ext cab weighs 3150 with a full tank fiberglass tonneau and 327 5spd
Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

My 82 S10 longbox std. cab weighed 2940. It had an iron block and headed 350 chevy, TH350 trans and ford 9" rear.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:45 AM

Last photo:

thanks guys. thats what I hoped it weighed.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:40 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i've weighed my truck two places: 5800lbs with me in it. at the truck weigh station when it wasnt busy and at the dump. both were close and free and i assume the dump was the most accurate. 79 3/4 ton chevy chassis with 55 cab/service box (empty) 36" tires add some, no spare

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.