Trying to figure max tire dia - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Trying to figure max tire dia

Run into a lot of formulas but they all seem to give different answers and none seem to adress how the car will perform out of the hole
The 3700 pound car,has the 383 stroker,650 AVS edelbrock on an airgap intake. Edelbrock 70cc heads. Hedman headers out to 2 1/2".. 9 3/4:1 compression. 270 HR cam. I have a 3:73 gear now and 25.5" dia BF's.2400 stall on a th350.Its very nicely responsive out of the hole now. I wonder how much I can grow the tire diameter and still keep a goodly portion of that response?Cause when I pay canukian prices for my new Mickeys I'd like to be pleased first go. Thoughts

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Bottom line is

The taller the tire ...
the less the effective gear ratio

The taller tire does not take as many revolutions to cover the same ground ( like a higher gear ratio )

If you go to a ... say ... 27 inch tall tire ... the car will react like a car with a 3.42 gear and a 25.5 tall tire

I did not run the ACTUAL numbers ... the above is just a estimate to show what I mean

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Bottom line is

The taller the tire ...
the less the effective gear ratio

The taller tire does not take as many revolutions to cover the same ground ( like a higher gear ratio )

If you go to a ... say ... 27 inch tall tire ... the car will react like a car with a 3.42 gear and a 25.5 tall tire

I did not run the ACTUAL numbers ... the above is just a estimate to show what I mean
ya, I guess what
I'm trying to get a feel for is although I'll suffer some at what tire dia will that combo just lay down like a dog on launch?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooper
I'm trying to get a feel for is although I'll suffer some at what tire dia will that combo just lay down like a dog on launch?
It really depends on how much torque and low end Horsepower you have. A big inch engine ( like a 454 LS6 450 horsepower Chevelle ) can stand the effective gear reduction much better than say a 69 Z28 302 car.

Your cam is fairly mid range RPM ( for a 383 ) and the rest of your combo seems suited to the mid range. It should not suffer too much. It will not LAY DOWN like a DOG

Why do you want a taller tire ?

To reduce RPM at highway speed or a larger footprint on the pavement ??

Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Why do you want a taller tire ?

To reduce RPM at highway speed or a larger footprint on the pavement ??
A bit of both but more the latter, and ecspecially the looks to be honest. I'm sick of all the rims out there now that look like a section of 45 gallon drum with a rubber band around em. I like the look of some sidewall up inside the fender. However I dont want to pick up looks at the cost of off line get up and go. Given that the cams power curve in a 350 starts at 1800 and I'm running a 383 which should knock that closer to 1500 and I have a bit of forgiveness in that 2400 stall I'm kinda hoping to migrate from 25.5 dia up to say something in the 27's. Sound reasonable?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Depending on the vehicle,
you may be able to go wider ... to achieve the " LOOK " you are after and stay at the same tire height.

If you go to a lower series tire ... ( like a 60 series if you have 70 series ) you can go up from size 215 ( 70 series ) to maybe a larger 235 ( 60 series ) and still be the same height. Depending on your vehicle ... you may be able to just get a wider tire under the fender. I have changed the wheel offset ( new rims ) to move the rim closer to the inner fender and went wider on the rim ... for a wider tire.

Most tire dealer have a chart to tell you the installed tire height and width of performance based tires.

Deuce

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.