trying to find old post - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trying to find old post

Well.. I admit it,.. I'm a *******.
Hope some of you can help me out - HOPE I am even in the right place. I got two or three boards I am watching so not sure the post I saw was even on this board. Hate to admit that because people may just blow this off,.. but I have to be honest.

SO here goes.... Does anyone remember a post a month or so back that dealt with modification, parts, etc that you made to a motor to increase gas mileage...??????
I am buying an old motor (305, 327, 350) something of the sort. It's going to go in an old truck that will be an everyday driver. Needless to say I want to get as GOOD a gas mileage as possible.
Someone posted different modification (parts, etc) you could use on your motor to help with better gas mileage. I've looked everywhere and I can't find it. Done a search also. Sorry to be a bother,.. but since I am doing a complete rebuild on (whatever) motor I get,.. I want to try and make the motor perform as good as possible. Wanted to know what all the modifications were in advance, so when I took my motor to my motor man I would know what all to tell him to do 'extra'.
Thanks in advance

OH...
Feel free to offer suggestion If the post wasn't from this board...
I would prefer you NOT offer using a EFI engine.
Current plans are to use a motor OLD enough that it has points, etc... (something I can work on myself if it needs repairs)... Avoiding auto repair shops... just too much for their charges when I can do simple stuff.
Also I am going to use a tranny with a manual over drive. That cuts out some of this 'computerized' stuff also.
Trying to eliminate all that I can,.. and make it so I can do as much work on it down the road I can.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

Sounds to me that you know what you want out of your car... (Dizzy with points, carburetor, non-computerized transmission/engine, probably just a dash with idiot lights and MAYBE a Tachometer). Something you can work on. I say you might not get great gas mileage unless you buy one of these new Hybrids or something crazy from Europe (I think they have cars that top 80 mpg these days).
Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Was this it? Engineering a build for MPG Started by K-star

Ed
Old 05-18-2006, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

thanks so far for the replies guys...
Nope Edge,... Thats not the post I had in mind...
The one I was thinking about more specifically has stuff like:
"Put on xyz part and it'll increase mileage by T%"
Just a whole lot of stuff like that.
In summary it said mileage went up like 5 - 7 MPG (if I remember correctly)
Old 05-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup Guy
thanks so far for the replies guys...
Nope Edge,... Thats not the post I had in mind...
The one I was thinking about more specifically has stuff like:
"Put on xyz part and it'll increase mileage by T%"
Just a whole lot of stuff like that.
In summary it said mileage went up like 5 - 7 MPG (if I remember correctly)

xyz part = gas mileage

is comparable to

abc parts = 600 horsepower....

Is it reality?????? or is it hype???????

Think,
small cubes, newly overhauled engine, heads slicked-up, good small efficient exhaust, mild camshaft, small carb, cold air induction, high thermostat temps, synthetic lubricants, PERFECT tune up, proper gears, high efficiency transmission/ over drive/ stick shift, low rolling resistence tires, aerodynamics, good quality fuel.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

hhumm
thanks for the info... most sounds like common sense,.. always good for a refresher course.
I'm looking at (probably) a 350 and a 700r tranny. I've heard that a 305 is a gas hog,.. not sure about a 302. Considered a 327.
I just kinda figured a 350 would be easier to get parts for years on down the road (since I plan on making it a daily driver and keeping it for MANY years)
Got someone already lined up to do a total rebuild, and will cover the stuff you mentioned like the carb, cam, heads, exhaust, etc.

Maybe the only problems I could see is it's gonna be an automatic. I'm just too old to be messing with a manual transmission, and also live in an area where traffic sometimes gets bad,.. and all that stopping, clutching, shifting, gets old with a manual shift.
Also plan on having a set of 60's (tires) on it,.. not sure how wide before rolling resistance gets to be a problem.
Finally,.. the truck is an old '46 studebaker. Kinda a big nose,.. and kinda flat (at least the grill area). The lower 1/2 isn't very aerodynamic. Good thing is that the windshield is 'factory built' and already lays back,.. so that should help some. Probably gonna chop the top a couple more inches too.
What do ya thnk..??

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.