trying to get 500+ horsepower - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 11:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

trying to get 500+ horsepower

I'm trying to get 500+(more on the plus side) out of a 73' pontiac 455. this is the set up i have so far; block is bored over 30, crank is 10 under, stock stroke, trw forged pistons( i might go to ross pistons, what u guys think?), comp 292 cam with a .501 lift at int. & exh., 1.65 rockers which will bring my lift up some, a set of alum. cnc machined heads by kauffman racing( 85 cc butterfly combustion chamber). i'm not sure on the intake and carb set up yet, Because i don't want to hack up my hood!!!!( 76' formula firebird but the hood scoops don't look like any1 elses!!!). Any suggestions on how to reach my 500+ horsepower goal would be a great help!!!!! Oh yeah, i'm trying to get that hp. before NOS.

Here is a little more info, don't know if it will help; i have 2 bolt mains, will be using arp studs (arp studs & bolts through out the entire engine) turbo 350 built for street & strip, man/auto valve body, if u need more info just ask, i'm willing to listen if youguys are willing to help... Thanx again!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 12:36 PM

You should be able to hit your goal of 500 hp with the right combo.

My friend has a 72 firebird with a 455 pontiac. He is well over 500 more around 700 hp I would imagine.

He is running ross forged pistons. like 11.5:1 or so he told me once that they were the lightest pistons he could get for his motor.
Scat makes a crank for the 455 now which punches it out to like a 474 or so.
He has ported and polished edelbrock rpm heads matched up to a victor intake topped off with a 1050 dominator.
Im not sure on the size of the cam its a ultradyne like 280 290 at .50 and like .630 lift

I dont know much about pontiacs only what I have seen from him and helping him do. I know the parts for it I kind of expensive.

The car runs 10.40s all engine.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:56 PM
High Octane

Last photo:

With your 1.65 rockers your lift is going to be around .551 My brother has a BB402 Chevy with .540 he uses as a dailey driver so I would say some more lift wouldn't hurt.

I've used TRW forged pistons with the last two engines I've built and have raced both of them with no problems (although I've never hit them with nitrous). So, if you already have your pistons I would spend that money elsewhere.

You didn't mention your CR on your pistons, but with a decent cam and some decent compression 10:1 or better I believe 500hp is easily obtainable.

Car Craft did a 455 build you can check out here http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0306_pont/

Have fun with it!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.