trying to get into hotrodding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trying to get into hotrodding

'29 chevy 4 dr for 6,600 stored for 35 years is that a good deal
and can u fit a small bock chevy in it thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Been there, Done that..already

Last journal entry: Custom paintjob...using rattle cans!
Last photo:

What kind of shape is it in? How much rust, dents etc.? If you are willing to put in a little effort into restoring it, and it is is really good shape....considering it's age, then yes it is a good deal.

As for the small block chevy- a 29 chevy had an inline 6 at 194 cid and was making 46hp/2400rpm. You could probably fit a larger engine in it with some modifications to the firewall. Considering the minute hp the vehicle was originally made for, a complete replacement of everything performance-wise will need to be done.

Here is a link for more info on your car:
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/chev1929.htm

Hope this helps!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If it was built with a 6 banger then a SBC will go right in. would need to stiffen the frame up, and that can be done boxing the rails.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

1929 chevy

from the pictures i have seen it has little to no rust and and no dents
and thanks for the help unfortunaly my family arent as interested in cars as iam
Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Chevrolets of those years had a lot of wood in the structure. Make sure there isn't a lot of dry rot and that this will be something you can tackle. Price is a bit high for a 4-door, if it can be driven out of the garage I would give that kind of money for it. Good luck, that will be a nice ride. Consider a newer in line 6, there can be a substantial amount of horsepower made and it will be different from the standard SBC.

Last edited by dinger; 10-05-2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You may wish to consider a late cyl like a 250inch chev inline and do what we call a resto rod with modern brakes and driveline..Modern wiring will be needed and the body we do a restore and repair..those kind of cars can be very good for a first project as even then there are lots of things to be done to keep you interested..The end result of that can be very satisfying..

Sam
Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by '29chevy
'29 chevy 4 dr for 6,600 stored for 35 years is that a good deal
and can u fit a small bock chevy in it thanks
One the guys in our club just build a 30 chev 2dr., the biggest trouble he had was the wood, the whole inter structure is wood all the door pillars everything. The neat thing about them is if they held together you have a car not many have. I think you said that one was stored inside so the metal should be good, but like someone said watch for dry rot in the wood, I Think you will find some bad wood if not all. I'm not really a chev guy so I don't know if they make kits for those or not, which would make it a little easier to replace the bad. I think the price might be a little high but if it's in real good shape, and runs go for it.

Later 35terraplane
Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

I think i just uploaded pictures ...... i dont know i not very good with computers.
anyway i think it looks in pretty good condition but i realize i would have to see about the dry rot
thanks alot this site as been really helpful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1929 chevy_20.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	48621   Click image for larger version

Name:	'29 chevy_20.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	48622  
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

29 chev 4dr

Quote:
I think i just uploaded pictures ...... i dont know i not very good with computers.
anyway i think it looks in pretty good condition but i realize i would have to see about the dry rot
thanks alot this site as been really helpful
Looks like a nice car, if it in a part of the US that gets cold, I would also check the underneath for rust metal will pull moisture out of cement, I don't know if it does it down south as much but up here I have looked at cars , the body was perfect looked below the frame would be almost gone.

Later 35terraplane
Old 10-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

oh ....... **** me and the car are in northern Canada so i really got to check the frame
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Starting off with an engine swap in an early Chevy is a pretty good bite to chew. I hope you have the courage of your convictions to follow through on this. I suspect that for every one that gets finished, there are another dozen that don't.

If I were to tackle this, I would probably allot about 3 years and 30,000 dollars to it. (800 bucks a month for 36 months). And that's with me already having the place to work, the tools to do it and having the know-how to do it. Swapping in a SBC isn't as easy as it sounds. It doesn't stop with an engine swap. You will then realize that you need new brakes and new steering and new this and new that and then you realize that the original frame is not up to the task, so you begin shopping for another frame, maybe an aftermarket unit. And the whole mess turns into a money pit.

From the pics, it looks like a pretty solid old piece, but you never know until you get in there and start digging around. Personally, I learned a long time ago that the one thing I can depend on is that I will be disappointed with my purchase after I get into it a ways. Nobody does things up to your personal standards. Nobody. I do know that there are wood kits available for the early Chevies. You just have to google around and find them.

Trust me when I say this. What you need is a substantial undercarriage that will accept the Chevrolet sheet metal. That's all you need to keep is the sheet metal. All mechanical parts should be aftermarket or adapted from another late-model vehicle. Anything mechanical from 1929 will not be up to the task of performing in anything but a 10 mph multi-car parade down main street, preceeded by and followed by tractors and pretty girls on horses.

Here is an example of how I would start this project, with a new 2" x 3" or 2" x 4" Autoweld frame that matches the '29 frame dimensions...
http://autoweldchassis.com/index2.ivnu
http://autoweldchassis.com/cp.ivnu
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
oh ....... **** me and the car are in northern Canada so i really got to check the frame
All isn't lost the car looks very build able, you just don't want to pay a lot of money, unless it is worth it. I would plan on looking at it before I spent anything for it. I'm big on BUYER BEWARE, If the frame has some holes in spots no big deal, or if the frame is all rusted, and you feel you can build a new one, then buy it , but not for what they are asking, The body is about as good as you could ask for, when you start a build. None of us here know what kind of a shop you have, or what tools you have, and by the sounds of it you are new to street rods, but have you worked or built say muscle cars, or is this your first build of any kind. If it's your first , have you taken any classes in school on cars. I by no means are telling you to forget this car, but IMO this will not be that easy, for a first car. If you have someone close that can help at times that has built cars, that would be great, there are lots of guys here that can tell you what to do or how to do it, but it's a lot easier to have someone there to show you or help you, and I don't think anyone on this site would disagree with that. you also will need some tools besides your everyday stuff, a welder is almost a must, you are going to have to box that frame to make it safe, and weld other things on the frame or where ever. If you have built cars before and have the tools have at it. I don't know what your budget is or how much you have but if it were me, and this is me no one else and have never built a car. I would buy that car and put it aside some where and find a car that would be a little easier, a model T, or a model A some thing where you can move the body around without it going every which way because of the wood. Both those cars you could change frames on and find the parts easier, I know the guy in our club it was his second or third car and he ended up framing a lot out, It's just what I would do If you can afford both I would get the 29 only because you don't see a lot of them, And that one looks like it's all there, not that you have to use it but you know what goes where.

My 43 1/2 cents worth 35 terraplane
Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

It is a well known F A C T and accepted by most Hotrodders, that you can BUY a Hot Rod for a lot less than trying to build one, especially your FIRST one

In 2 minutes on a GOOGLE search I found over a dozen 29 Chevrolets for sale. The blue one is just an example of what I found. ASKING $24,000 and I guarantee you will have twice that in the one you are looking at by the time you get it on the road with a V8 and nice paint.

I strongly suggest you LOOK AROUND before spending 6 plus grand on a 4 door Chevrolet of that vintage. Go to a few shows, test drive a few cars for sale and then try to make a educated decision.

By the way ... 4 doors generally sell for half or less the $$$ that the more desirable models sell for

I built these two ...
The coupe took me 5 years and I have been building cars since the 60's.

I suggest you go to my project journal to see what is involved building a car. It is not a 3/4 week project like you see on TV

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=1
DEUCE ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

getting into hot rodding

I agree 100%, with todays prices, but What have you learned, and I have bought two cars out of the cars I have owned and both of them I turned around and rebuilt them. so you could start another can of worms with that. A lot depends on his skills , what he has for tools etc. Anyway you look at it, it's cheaper to buy than build. but I guess thats up to the person doing it.

Later 35tterraplane

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.