Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Trying to guesstimate HP
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Morency View Post
I'm trying to guesstimate my engines horsepower.
Stock bottom end 70's 350, cleaned up rebuilt heads/stock, 294/.510 cam, roller tip rockers, Edelbrock torker intake, Edelbrock 600cfm carb, street fire distributor, full tube headers.
Any guesses? Here's mine, 310HP?
I would assume a 670cfm carb would be ideal for more HP.
Brian, I predict that you're about to get an education on the importance of matching up a combination of parts toward a common goal.
A 294 cam will make power from 3000 to 7000 and will require 11.0:1+ static compression ratio.
A Torquer intake will make power from 2500 to 6500.
Your stock cylinder heads will make power from idle to 5000. They were designed to haul grandma to bingo and back, not to make high rpm hp.
Can you see a mis-match of parts?
Do you have any idea of the static compression ratio of the motor?
Do you have any idea of the squish you built into the motor?
What rear gear are you planning to run? The 294 cam will require something in the 4's.
Have you bought your 3500 stall converter yet?

Most of you younger fellows have not learned that a camshaft IS NOT a stand-alone part. You can't just grab the highest duration cam you can find, stab it in the motor and expect a world beater. It must be considered as a major part of the entire combination. If you have no idea of the exact static compression ratio of your motor, don't even THINK of trying to choose a camshaft for the motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
Brian Morency (11-19-2012)