Trying to install a thm350 but running into problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Trying to install a thm350 but running into problems

Hi guys .... Im having a little trouble here... Its my first tranny install so bare with me. I have a 76 Chevy c10 with a 350 engine. Someone in the past swapped out the thm350 for a 700r4. Well to make a long story short the 700 went out and i want to go back to the thm350(cost issues).

The thm350 is in place Bolted to the truck but there is a space between the torque converter and the flexplate. Its about a 1/4 in gap. Do i simply pull the torque converter forward until it mates up with the flexplate ? Or does it require some sort of spacer ? I know the notches on the torque converter are about 1/2 inch but doesn't the torque converter need to be seated all the way back into the tranny ? BTW the tranny and torque converter came out of the same type of truck. ...Any and all help will be appreciated ... Thanks guys ...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The converter is designed to slide back into the pump about 1/4" for easy removal. Just pull it forward and install the 3 converter to flywheel bolts. If you are installing a TH350 with a 9" tail housing, it should go well. The 700r4 and the long tail TH350 are almost identical in length and the splines are the same also. Trans mount should line up the same too. Only thing you'll need to change is the cable to the carb. It will now need to mount to the 2 rear studs on the carb base plate. Its not the same cable as the 700 uses. The 700 cable is called a "throttle valve" cable (TV cable) and the 350 is called a "kickdown cable".

Have fun!

Mark
Old 12-31-2005, 05:16 PM

Thanks.

Thanks Jmark. Thats all i needed to know. Its all bolted up now but it got too dark to finish tonight ....
I checked on the swap before i tried it. The only difference between the tm350 with the 9" tail is the tranny mount location. On the 700r4 it sits about two inches further toward the rear of the truck so all i had to do was move the cross-member back to the stock location. Drive shaft fit perfectly with no mods as did the cooler lines and i even used the same rubber tranny mount.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:09 PM

Just an update ... 350 is installed and pulls very good. I do have one more question though. It seems like it shifts hard from first to second. Hard enough that when i get on it a little the tires chirp . Is this normal ? My friend said it may have a shift kit in it but i have no way of telling. Mabey i just got use to the sluggish shifts from the 700r4.

Im amazed at the difference. It pulls like a new truck. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:06 AM

Last photo:

old transmission

let me know if you want to get rid of old trans.i live in ga too. ken
Old 01-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Chances are, the T350 has had a shift kit installed.

Budget RVs

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.