Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

trying to make a s10 into a ratrod

71K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ratrod87 
#1 ·
Hi any one here ever try to use a s10 and use the cab as the tub to make a 1930 style truck i want a fender less rat rod i plan on 350 4 speed 30,s style front axle leaf spring in rear with modle t box any help would be great im on a real small budet i got s10 cheap so i really need to do this Thanks Brian :(

#3 ·
Good luck with the search, but I don't think you will find anybody that used a cab from a mini truck. Just frames and parts.

I think it will be fine. Make sketches and/or models.
I want to do something similar as well. Using either a dakota or s10 cab and bed, with a 130" wheelbase, so it will be oversized.

Personally I think you will need to remove the existing windshield and make a windshield similar to the older ones. I think a convertible would look best. Remove the frame around the window on the doors. The frame is another issue, the front IFS does not look very good if exposed. But I am going to try a full size frame from a C1500 or Silverado. The front arms on my silverado 4wd do not look half bad, they are not stamped metal, I assume they are forged steel. I think if the front and rear suspension were grafted onto a fabricated 2x4 frame it would do the job well.

what frame are you going to use?

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/truck-roadster-idea-twist-ohio-91150.html

#4 ·
When you look at the shape of the S-10 body, as compared to the early trucks/cars, there is considerable difference. The earlier vehicles were narrower in the front than in the rear. That allowed the radiator to appear to follow the body shape, without the fenders attached. The frames were also narrower in the front, in a similar manor. There was also very little stuff in the engine compartment that cluttered things up. Since the S-10 frame is so wide, to accomodate the suspension, it would likely look out of place sticking out in the open.

Although you could obviously make the vehicle operable, the job of making it look like something interesting would be alot of work.

JMO

Aaron

#13 ·
McLeay F1 said:
that s10 is great. took some nuts to cut her up like that
how come the shifter isn't poking out of the roof? :D

It is cool!!!! And it don't take nuts to cut one, :nono: Bring one to me, and see how fast I will cut it !!!! :D I like what he did,But I would have built a new frame for it,With a dropped axle.I think it would look nice that way.I have been playing with that idea alot.And will do one, one day... :thumbup:

#15 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
I seen this one on the web.Pretty cool. :thumbup:
That is WILD! I don't think you save a whole lot from an off brand body (in other words not a popular car like a 36 Ford or something). But that little truck is damn cool!

Brian

#16 ·
s10 rat

I knew a guy in salinas Cal that did 2 of the graft kits, the first was the 50 ford fiberglass parts on a 90's T bird,, the other project was glass parts on an s10 cab to look like a 39 stude truck The truck project had panels that fit over the doors and rear of the cab to copy the shape of a chopped top. He was running full fenders on his. I googled s 10 39 studebaker and it's kreative rodwerks in arizona.

#18 ·
s-10 ratrod

Hello I am the creator of the pancaked s-10 shown in the pic up top, the massive chop and section was necessary to get the proportions right. As far as putting a drop axle in it and building a new frame is defeating the purpose if I wanted to build a period correct rod I would have used period correct body. Also I wanted to ad that the radiator was going to be mounted in the back of the cab so I didn't have to use a grill that belongs on a thirties car . I sold the truck and it got rebuilt in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.