Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   trying to make a s10 into a ratrod (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/trying-make-s10-into-ratrod-92634.html)

brian berwick 06-28-2006 12:51 AM

trying to make a s10 into a ratrod

Hi any one here ever try to use a s10 and use the cab as the tub to make a 1930 style truck i want a fender less rat rod i plan on 350 4 speed 30,s style front axle leaf spring in rear with modle t box any help would be great im on a real small budet i got s10 cheap so i really need to do this Thanks Brian :(

cboy 06-28-2006 06:53 AM

Brian,

Welcome to HR. Com. There have been many discussions/threads here regarding the use of mini pickups, includint the S10, for rods. You can find them by using the "search" function at the top of the page. If you have specific questions after reading those threads, post away.

aspenelm 06-28-2006 06:09 PM

Good luck with the search, but I don't think you will find anybody that used a cab from a mini truck. Just frames and parts.

I think it will be fine. Make sketches and/or models.
I want to do something similar as well. Using either a dakota or s10 cab and bed, with a 130" wheelbase, so it will be oversized.

Personally I think you will need to remove the existing windshield and make a windshield similar to the older ones. I think a convertible would look best. Remove the frame around the window on the doors. The frame is another issue, the front IFS does not look very good if exposed. But I am going to try a full size frame from a C1500 or Silverado. The front arms on my silverado 4wd do not look half bad, they are not stamped metal, I assume they are forged steel. I think if the front and rear suspension were grafted onto a fabricated 2x4 frame it would do the job well.

what frame are you going to use?

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/truc...hio-91150.html

adtkart 06-28-2006 07:48 PM

When you look at the shape of the S-10 body, as compared to the early trucks/cars, there is considerable difference. The earlier vehicles were narrower in the front than in the rear. That allowed the radiator to appear to follow the body shape, without the fenders attached. The frames were also narrower in the front, in a similar manor. There was also very little stuff in the engine compartment that cluttered things up. Since the S-10 frame is so wide, to accomodate the suspension, it would likely look out of place sticking out in the open.

Although you could obviously make the vehicle operable, the job of making it look like something interesting would be alot of work.

JMO

Aaron

weirdbeard 06-28-2006 09:25 PM

Man I say if people have done it or not do it! That could really be cool and cheap! DO IT! Post the pics. :drunk:

home brew 06-28-2006 11:14 PM

Take a look at this project journal and see if you like what you see:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=1

Mark Larsh 12-08-2008 08:14 PM

s10 rat rod

I just finished an s10 rat rod great project

cboy 12-08-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Larsh
I just finished an s10 rat rod great project

Any pictures? (We just love pictures here.)

NEW INTERIORS 12-08-2008 09:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I seen this one on the web.Pretty cool. :thumbup:

weirdbeard 12-09-2008 05:48 AM

Thats neat looking, But I think they went to far on the chop top!

That looks really painful to sit in. ;)

Old Fool 12-09-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS

Love that hi flow air intake, must be good for another minus 50hp,lol

McLeay F1 12-09-2008 12:37 PM

that s10 is great. took some nuts to cut her up like that
how come the shifter isn't poking out of the roof? :D

NEW INTERIORS 12-09-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLeay F1
that s10 is great. took some nuts to cut her up like that
how come the shifter isn't poking out of the roof? :D

It is cool!!!! And it don't take nuts to cut one, :nono: Bring one to me, and see how fast I will cut it !!!! :D I like what he did,But I would have built a new frame for it,With a dropped axle.I think it would look nice that way.I have been playing with that idea alot.And will do one, one day... :thumbup:

RattedS10 11-30-2010 04:26 PM

my rat rod s10 twin turbo

4 Attachment(s)
hey guys here my dads and mine s10 we built. it has a 4in chop custom bed 32 front end twin turbo 355 at 12p of boot has about 700 hp which is crazy stupid in this thing lol were still working on it getting it ready for paint

MARTINSR 11-30-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS

That is WILD! I don't think you save a whole lot from an off brand body (in other words not a popular car like a 36 Ford or something). But that little truck is damn cool!

Brian