trying to put on new valve seals SBC 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 05:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trying to put on new valve seals SBC 350

I picked up some umbrella comp cam seals for my about 1980 350 chevy. The pulley type spring compressor was of junk replace one valve seal but when we tried to do the other the spring would not slide down the valve to be able to release the keepers. the first on the seal was like stone and would let us slide the spring off after getting the keeper off. the intake on #1 was worse and when we tried to slide the compressed spring down the valve would just open against the air pressure. Not going to attempt it till I have a better compressor . But any suggestions to getting the spring down with those baked on seals that are on there. Thanks ED

like spring compressor on the very top of page

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The first thing you need to do is dink the keepers loose.
Remove the rockers and then take a 1/2" socket and place it on top of the valve spring and centered over the stem/keeper. Then give it a smack with a hammer. It will jar the retainer from the keepers. It won't come apart but will loosen it up.
THEN, bring the piston to TDC for that cylinder and apply about 30 pounds of air into the cylinder. Now you can depress the retainer/spring and remove the keepers easliy.

I use the old flat spring compressor lever, but then again, I don't do it very often. It looks like a flat crowbar and bolts to the rocker stud and you just lift it up and it depresses the retainer.

Mark
Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

well thanks for the information, that sounds good to me, I did try to lightly tap the top, with the air on but had the spring somewhat compressed and the whole assembly just when down. I will try that and will get a loaner tool at AutoZone. very much appreciated Ed
Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

What I like to use instead of air is starter rope. I use about 6' of rope, and back the piston down a bit (by hand). Then I feed the rope in through the spark plug hole, and rotate the engie up by hand until it stops. This way the valves are physically unable to drop, so if the air hose gets disconnected, who cares.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
What I like to use instead of air is starter rope. I use about 6' of rope, and back the piston down a bit (by hand). Then I feed the rope in through the spark plug hole, and rotate the engie up by hand until it stops. This way the valves are physically unable to drop, so if the air hose gets disconnected, who cares.
I have done that with small lawn motor engines to remove the flywheel nuts. may have to give that one a try, no chance of getting the rope stuck and hard to remove?? thanks Ed

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.