Hot Rod Forum banner

Tubbing my Malibu

33K views 74 replies 7 participants last post by  Onebad79malibu 
#1 ·
I am starting on my tub job on my 1979 Malibu,does anyone have info on where I make my first cuts on removing the material behind seats.?Thanks for any info

#35 ·
Here !!! I going to give you a hand flipping the car back on all fours..:thumbup:

Add a few more pictures when you can... Might see something we can help with.. Look's like you should be able to cut a little more out the inside between the two tires..You will need the room there to work..

Attachments

#37 ·
Tubbing my makibu

Lol.Thanks for the help with the pic,I can't believe I even got it to show up.Yeah I am going to remove the remaining metal between the tires.The tires in the pic are 33x16x15 with a 14 inch wide rim and a 5 1/2 inch bs.I have another set of 33x14 but wanted to set it up to run the wider rims.im posting more pics but I can't guarantee how they will show up lol.I still need to do some final trimming on some areas but I've been taking it slow since its my first time.cant figure out why my pics are rotated????arrggggggg

Attachments

#39 ·
It's looking good so far.. Remember.. You said this is your first time.. You took the hardest step so far.. Cutting it up... Take your time and it will all work out.. DON'T RUSH IT !!!! That's when things go wrong... After this one you will want to do more..:mwink:

I'm a pro street guy.. Not sure how many Pro street cars I had.. But I like the look of them big fatties under the back end..

#46 ·
Here's a few post that might help you out..

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/setting-up-four-link-157238.html

Tuning 4 Link Rear Suspensions for the Drag Strip

http://www.cachassisworks.com/stories/HowCAC-003_WEB.pdf

I hope you know the difference between four bar and four link... Most people don't know the difference between the two... If you do a search on google you will see what I'm tlaking about,, Everyone call's a four bar set up a four link.. It's not.. It is a four bar,,;)

Art Morrison's has a nice video as far as I remember...

#47 ·
#48 ·
Tubbing my malibu

Hey thanks guys,very good articles,they will definetly help with the set up.I had the basic idea but I will definetly be using the info to set up the 4 link the correct way.I will get some better pics of the inside of the car so you can see what I'm working with.

#52 ·
I contacted moser and they are going to cut them down and re spline them for 125.Im using a 12 bolt that I built years ago.I was thinking I would build the frame rails on a table and then install them,I've read it's best to build them in place,and also build them and then install.Any thoughts on this??I figured I would mock them up using 2x4 lumber so I can get my angle cuts correct and not waste any steel??????Thanks for the help

#58 ·
Your thinking is right... Go to your lumber yard,, And buy some 1/8 or 1/4 inch lauan you can make your pattern out of... All you have to do is make one frame rail out of the Lauan,,, Then use it to lay out that frame rail,, Then once you have one side built(before welding it all up ) just tack everything,,, Then lay the next one right on top of the one you just built,,, Tack it together as well.. Now you have two frame rails that match... The rest is easy after that..All can be done on a table or floor..

#53 ·
Hope you're planning on (or already have) a c clip eliminator kit on those axles. I wouldn't run a 10 or 12 bolt on the strip without them."
I think the odds of getting things square and a better fit are better if you build the subframes outside the car, then wled it in. You need a good base or jig to make sure it's all square if doing it outside, but it's easier to get good welds and square it up.

#56 ·
Lol it is tough,but I promised about 10 projects and 20 years ago I would only build one more car so the budget is whatever I can find in the couch cushions and under the washer and dryer.According to my wife it is a "very BAD because i told you no more cars Malibu"but I figured with that name I would never get any help :)

#60 ·
Hey all!I got my wheels under the car where they need to be and determined after several measurements,I determined my rear end needs to be 43 1/2 inches from WMS to WMS,which means I need to shorten my rear end by 11 inches.I am sending the axles off to get them cut down,I have strange c clip eliminators welded on,so I'm assuming when moser cuts the axles down they will just eliminate the groove for c clips,and if they measure from the splined end of the axle,will the 5.5 inches start at the very end?is this the correct way of thinking??maybe I'm over thinking but I don't want to send them in twice

#63 ·
Yikes! Why would somebody do that? Don't you have the inner half to the Strange bearing housing? There's supposed to be two pieces, and the inner half holds the bearing in place, so no weld is needed. Looks like someone did some backyard repair to that, and it will make bearing changes a real dilema in the future!

#64 ·
Yes I have all the parts just not on in the picture.I took the kit and the rear end to a local shop and had it installed.I just assumed they knew what they were doing since I've never had any problems with it.this is the first time I've had it apart since it was done over 2 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.