Hot Rod Forum banner

Tubbing my Malibu

33K views 74 replies 7 participants last post by  Onebad79malibu 
#1 ·
I am starting on my tub job on my 1979 Malibu,does anyone have info on where I make my first cuts on removing the material behind seats.?Thanks for any info

#69 ·
Tubbing my malibu

Thank you.With the back spacing on the wheels and the length of my rear end I'm going to have about 2 inches from the closest part of the 1/4 panel.Hopefully my axles will be back next week and I can move on to installing my frame rails.Im keeping my fingers crossed that I can find some coil overs at the swap meet next weekend.Im hoping to at least be able to get it on the road by spring though I'm sure it won't be painted yet.

Attachments

#72 ·
Thank you.I don't like the look either of the tires tucked too far underneath,just doesn't look right.Hopefully ill get some new upside down pics up soon,work has been busy and just haven't had time to go play in the garage.Ive got my steel in the garage just waiting on axles to arrive so I can determine frame rail location once rear end is together and mocked up in place

#73 ·
Tubbing my malibu

Hi all!Sorry but I had to use a different email address.I am back on my project and starting on my frame work.I have the cross member welded in and boxed in the ends of the existing frame where it was cut.went to the swap meet today but I didn't have any luck finding an affordable 4 link set up.I found them on line cheaper than what they were at the swap meet.Ill post pics when I get a little farther along.Thanks everyone!

#75 ·
Hello everyone!!Its been a while since I've posted so I thought I would catch you up and even post some upside down pics :).Work has been crazy so not much time for the project but I have managed to fab crossmember and get one frame rail tacked up.Ive purchased my 4 link kit and coil over shocks so I could begin mocking everything up.I haven't got the rear end all put together yet,I figure I can do all that once my frame rails are complete.Its been a LOT of work just taking all the measurements and getting everything laid out.I also got my wheel tubs mocked up out of cardboard.Hopefully someone can rotate the pictures if they don't come out right.Thanx everyone and if anyone has any suggestions or advice for this stage in the game,feel free to post,good or bad.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.