Tube Chassis Truck? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 02:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tube Chassis Truck?

Not sure if this is where it goes, but since suspension brakes and steering are connected to it I figure it goes here. Sometime in the near future I'm wanting to build a custom truck. Engine/tranny swap, IRS out back, ect. I've seen a few old trucks like F100's with all tube frames, kind of like skateboards to sit the truck on. With the kind of stuff I want and the performance I'm going after, I decided on that tube frame. Anyone have any references to how to design such a frame for a truck? Most I've seen just seem to be basicly strait with tubing zigzagged between the two rails to make frame rails. I know there's alot more though. This is going to go under a 98 or so Ranger (extended cab if I can help it) btw. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

You should build a chassis jig using the original frame as a model for track width and wheel base. When you do your motor setup put the cab on so you can see if you'll have modify the firewall. I got the Chassis Engineering book by Doug Herbert and found a lot of useful info in there. Hope this helps.

Lon
Old 11-28-2006, 10:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

If you really want chassis stiffness (especially in torsion) a "skateboard" is not what you want. You would want to incorporate a cage and tube chassis into one solid structure. If you don't go that route you might as well just box your frame and call it good. I have seen people make balsa wood scale models of the chassis that they intend to make to and test it by bending it in their hands or putting small weights on it. Because of what you are dealing with you might want to take a look at some same era trucks turned into desert racers. Most of them have very stiff chassis under their skins.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Well, it's still going to have a cage as well, I just really don't want bars sticking out of the back of the cab, unless they're under the bedcover. I figured I could drop the body over the chassis (I'm going to channel it substancually) then build a cage inside/through it, as it'll have some bars extending towards the front to further support the suspension. The chassis I looked at was basicly a box, a rectangular box, but a box none the less. I wish I could explain it.. maybe i can find a picture and post it.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Think it was the FR100 Concept truck with the 5.0 Cammer engine.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lon77
You should build a chassis jig using the original frame as a model for track width and wheel base. When you do your motor setup put the cab on so you can see if you'll have modify the firewall. I got the Chassis Engineering book by Doug Herbert and found a lot of useful info in there. Hope this helps.

Lon

I meant to say Herb Adams wrote the Chassis Engineering book.

Lon
Old 11-28-2006, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, that oughta really help. I need some kind of technical manual to teach me that stuff.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:47 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Alston also has a good book on drag chassis design. Be sure to get the SFI spec on how fast that truck might run so it can be certified. It will really increase the resale value of the truck, when the day comes to sell it.
SFI has the chassis specs for tubing size and lengths to build the cage from. A good chassis builder in your area will have a book giving all the sizes.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

So you just guess? 180? This thing is gonna pretty much be a high reving supercar under a truck body. With what I'm thinking of doing I probably should invest in a few books on chassis building.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.