Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tube straightener?? Homemade tool geniuses please chime in!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tube straightener?? Homemade tool geniuses please chime in!

Long story short I'm working with some coiled 3/8in stainless steel fuel line for the first time and it has proven to be quite difficult. Right now my piece of fuel line has waves in it like a bobby pin and is no where close to be being straight.

I knew about tools that straighten out fuel line but had no idea they were $200++

That is out of the question, and after looking at pictures of them a little closer the simplicity of the tool doesn't look all that hard to duplicate I would think.

I was thinking a piece of scrap steel plate or something along the lines of that. 5 wheels, not sure where I could find wheels with the slight groove in them like these tools use. Bolt 3 wheels on the bottom, then up top cut two slots vertically, bolt two wheels through the plate/slots. Untighten then tighten back up to adjust the height of the wheels up and down on the slots for whatever sized line you need to straighten. And just run the line through it back and forth. Could slap the tool in a vise to hold it for you while you run the line through it.

Anyone think this crazy idea could work?

Here are my Microsoft paint blue prints