Tube straightener?? Homemade tool geniuses please chime in! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tube straightener?? Homemade tool geniuses please chime in!

Long story short I'm working with some coiled 3/8in stainless steel fuel line for the first time and it has proven to be quite difficult. Right now my piece of fuel line has waves in it like a bobby pin and is no where close to be being straight.

I knew about tools that straighten out fuel line but had no idea they were $200++

That is out of the question, and after looking at pictures of them a little closer the simplicity of the tool doesn't look all that hard to duplicate I would think.

I was thinking a piece of scrap steel plate or something along the lines of that. 5 wheels, not sure where I could find wheels with the slight groove in them like these tools use. Bolt 3 wheels on the bottom, then up top cut two slots vertically, bolt two wheels through the plate/slots. Untighten then tighten back up to adjust the height of the wheels up and down on the slots for whatever sized line you need to straighten. And just run the line through it back and forth. Could slap the tool in a vise to hold it for you while you run the line through it.

Anyone think this crazy idea could work?

Here are my Microsoft paint blue prints

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Metal Fab & Shaping

Hey I think it's very doable, in fact I mad a simple tool to straighten my mig wire so I could gas weld with it. But back to yours. I would make the wheels out of a hard wood and have some one or your self if equips spin them and put a groove in them. It's on the line of a circle bender but dose the opposite. The wood is easy and you could have different sizes and find different uses for it. let me knownhownyou make out, or if y'all need to toss some ideas around. Also make sure the tube comes threw nice and straight and no twisting which will add more of a torsional twist and is harder to remove. Cheers

Last edited by ProMetalShop; 09-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

you can make a tool to remove coil set out of rubber casters. To groove the wheels put a caster wheel on a bolt and nut, tighten the nut down snug, then chuck in a drill and use a course round file to make a groove.

Another way is to clamp both ends of the tubing , then anchor one end to a fixed object, fasten the other end to a come-along hooked to another fixed object. Put some tension on the tubing with the come-along. Go slowly and check your progress, just enough is enough.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

straight tubing

when i was working on a job and needed st tubing from a coil. i'd cut to length and add some... hang one end on a chain fall and the other to a heavy wt.. lift it or try and it'll straighten right out by slightly stretching it... of course not everyone has a hoist 40' up... maybe hook an end to your truck and pull with a rider mower... easy !!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Actually found pretty much exactly what I wanted to make on another site.

Except some guy made his tube straightener out of angle iron pieces. Instead of a piece of plate steel with slots cut in it like I had imagined.

I went to two different hardware stores to find the wheel bearing 'U' grooved rollers but have came up empty handed so far. Quest continues.

I'm not sure if I can post a link to the H.A.M.B on here or not so I wont.

Here are some of the guys pics.

In action

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rell For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-21-2013), cobalt327 (09-07-2012), mustangsal (06-03-2014), trucker101 (05-22-2013)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

sliding patio rollers ?

Those brass colored wheels look like replacements for a sliding glass patio door, also look similar to the rollers on a 10 in commercial grade tile saw sliding table . I used 4 on a plasma cutter trolly that rolled on angle iron for straight line cuts.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Metal Fab & Shaping

I wonder if the pullies on a mower deck would size up ?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
Those brass colored wheels look like replacements for a sliding glass patio door, also look similar to the rollers on a 10 in commercial grade tile saw sliding table . I used 4 on a plasma cutter trolly that rolled on angle iron for straight line cuts.
THey sure do look like patio door rollers, good call!

http://www.glassdistributorsinc.com/...rs.htm?cat=103
Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

patio door rollers

I bought mine at Home depot or lowes for 2 or 3 dollars each, some rollers for heavy wood doors are a lot more on the web site posted.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Boy at $12 each; you better use a lot of tubing in your projects. Very cool find though
Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
Those brass colored wheels look like replacements for a sliding glass patio door
Bingo! That's exactly what they are. Went to a few stores and could only find small ones. I'll keep looking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Boy at $12 each; you better use a lot of tubing in your projects. Very cool find though
Yeah that's a little high for each. Id probably pay $12 tops for a pair of quality ones.

Still at that price and for someone that has all other materials needed laying around like hardware, angle iron. You still come out cheaper then that $200-$290 tool that will do the same thing.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Sweet tool. You ought to submit it to the Homemade Tools section at the top of the page.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
Actually found pretty much exactly what I wanted to make on another site.

Except some guy made his tube straightener out of angle iron pieces. Instead of a piece of plate steel with slots cut in it like I had imagined.

I went to two different hardware stores to find the wheel bearing 'U' grooved rollers but have came up empty handed so far. Quest continues.

I'm not sure if I can post a link to the H.A.M.B on here or not so I wont.

Here are some of the guys pics.

In action

BEEEEE-UUUUUUU-TEEEEEEE-FULLLLL

Brian
Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
Bingo! That's exactly what they are. Went to a few stores and could only find small ones. I'll keep looking though.

Yeah that's a little high for each. Id probably pay $12 tops for a pair of quality ones.

Still at that price and for someone that has all other materials needed laying around like hardware, angle iron. You still come out cheaper then that $200-$290 tool that will do the same thing.
Sorry for the late call. I will be making one too and found rope pullys to be sized right. Just 2cents
Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

I looked at metal rope pullys that would work perfect, but they did not have ball bearing centers.

Solid rollers will not work, unless I sandwhich the rollers like the original tool is made.

Tags
fuel line, tubing

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.