tubing bender - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 11:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

tubing bender

I was wondering how uses or prefers which bender, jd, protools or hossfeld or anything along these lines. For what reason do youlike the one you do?

Also, anyone built thier own bender like a protools? any plans kickin around or anyone willing to sell plans or diemnsion of thier bender.

Big Rig

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 03:37 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

heres a link to a site wich u can buy the plans for a tube bender.. ive seen a few plans around.

click here
Old 10-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Cad Power rules!

Last photo:

The jd2 and protools m105 are really similar in design and function. Elsewhere on the net in the rockcrawling community these two benders are the most popular.

When looking at benders be sure to take into account die availibility in the sizes you need. Do the homebuilt plans use a common die type that you can easily replace? also, check prices carefully I've seen the same dies for say 11/2 tubing 180 degree bend / 5" clr priced anywhere from $250 - $350
Old 10-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Benders

My choice is either the pro tools or the JD as they are horizontal benders and have the degree wheel for repeatable exact bends..at the price of tubing these days one doe snot wish to make too many mistakes..

And they are made from steel and should be a one per lifetime deal..
Old 11-09-2004, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

building your own bender

I built my own bender in the style of the JD Squared or pro tools design.
First I bought the dies from pro tools cause it's costly to have a machine shop to machine them up as a one off project.
Next I took a good look at the pro tools flyer and used the measurements from the dies to calculate the nessessary positions for holes and the length of the arms.
I made my quadrent arms and ratchet arm from 3"wide x.750"thick steel plate,and bronze bushings at all pivot points.
The rest is pretty easy to figuare out as you proceed with the project.
The support spacers which keep everything together but spaced apart so you can change dies without everything falling apart should be made long enough to fit the largest dies you intend to use in the bender.
I used my 1.75 OD dies to make the bender and now all the smaller dies I have fit---do it the other way around and the big dies wont fit
Hope this helps
Old 11-21-2004, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

I like the pro tools so far, and the manufactures support rocks. I have very crappy tubing suppliers, so I have rusty tubing that likes to eat up dies. I got the HD model with the 3/4" arms. Ive maxed in on some heavy heavy wall DOM over specs, and got away with just gaulling some pins. Im working on a hydraulic conversion for mine.

I like 180* dies, whats everyone else have

Old 11-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Cad Power rules!

Last photo:

Regarding the galling issue, you can have the dies case hardened or even harden them yourself if you have access to the tools. I've never done case hardening but the manufacturers of one of those 2 benders (can't rememeber which) suggest that as a solution to the galling issue. I think it can be done with an oxy torch / rosebud tip and some casenite. There's a place locally that does that sort of stuff and IIRC it's not too expensive. I just got a welder so I'm rounding up scraps to practice on while I save for a bender etc.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:17 AM

The Pro Tools right now seems to be the most popular. Their lead times on dies is still better than JD2. JD2 makes a great bender, but they lag a LOT when it comes to keeping up with demand.

I'm actually taking the build it yourself route as well. I modeled out the Pro Tools arms, then ran it through some stress anayisis packages to beef them up. Should have my new arms out of the laser shop after the first of the year. I'm getting the entire thing built for me at MUCH less than what Pro-Tools wants for one. I will be using their die sets, but I have a local shop that carries them.

I'll try and post pics of what they look like little later one

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.