tubing the rearend - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 06:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question tubing the rearend

hey guys. first time posting, so be easy on me..
i have a 1988 ford ranger with a 5.0l in it and it has tuns of power but does not grip and go like i want it to.. i was told to tub it but the only problum is i do not know how to...... so if any one can tell me were to find a good site to find out how to .or send me info on it i would be very interested... thanks alot.....

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2003, 06:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

To properly tub a vehicle a large section of the rear frame has to be narrowed. This means the frame is cut and re-welded (as well as strengthened) back together. The rear suspension must be either entirely relocated (if you decide to keep the leaf springs) or replaced with either a four bar or ladder bar setup.

The next task is to narrow the rear end itself. This is something you'll have to have a professional shop do since it will usually require the axles to be shortened and re-splined as well as the housing.

Finally you'll have to cut sections out of your bed to make room for the larger tires and weld in tubs in the bed to cover them.

As you can see tubing is not an easy task and can be quite involved and expensive. I have only outlined one way here. An option would be to buy one of the commercially available kits where you just cut the rear section off and replace it with the kit. More expensive but it can be a bit easier depending on the vehicle and the kit. Most of the kits have all the suspension mounts already installed but you'll still have to narrow the rear end and weld the tubs in the bed.

Good luck

Centerline
http:www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2003, 06:53 AM

coast

thanks for the info centerline. that can help me a bite. this is my first build and it must burn rubber. how much do you guys think a kit would coast and were could i get one????
or do you think it would not be to hard to do it my self...?
Old 12-13-2003, 07:30 AM

Last journal entry: Heading home
Last photo:

Tubbing

You might want to check out Progressive Automotive.

They are building my frame for my '32 Chevy coupe. Their link is:
www.progressiveautomotive.com/.

I know that there are others that you may want to check out also.
You can use the "Company Reviews" site here to help out also.

Bob at progressive was very helpful to me to make sure that we were building the frame the way I wanted. From engine and trans to rear end and gears plus brakes and lines. If their work is as accommodating as Bob was I know I will be pleased.

What can I say I liked the guy and his help since this is my first "ground up"build.

Hope this helps and let us know how you do with your project.

Pappy

Last edited by pappy 32; 12-13-2003 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:39 AM

Talking what kind of rear eand should i use

i would like to know what you guys think i should use for a rear end if you do not mind??????
and by the way thanks alot pappy i will definatly let you guys know how it is going once i start it.
i would like to know anything you guys think i should do to this ranger and what not to do????
Old 12-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

You could also check out Chris Alston Chassisworks, www.cachassisworks.com. They make kits for all kinds of back halves & also make their own rear end housings. So you can do one stop shopping for the Back Half of the Frame, either 4 link or ladder bar setup and they will also make their Fab 9 housing to fit too. You would still have a lot left to do such as getting axles for the rearend, getting all of the parts for the Center Section ( basically the whole differential ) and brakes and such. It's not a cheap option, no matter how you go about it, unless you have the skills to do most of the labor.

One more thing, the fab 9 housing from Chris Alston is a setup for a Ford 9" rear end, you won't break a 9" with a 5.0.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Re: what kind of rear eand should i use

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbuds
i would like to know what you guys think i should use for a rear end if you do not mind??????
Given the choice, I would suggest a Ford 9". They are plentiful and can be set up to be pretty much bullet proof without breaking the bank.

Centerline
Old 12-13-2003, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Along with the guys here, you should pop over at www.rangerpowersports.com and have a look around. We've got lots of guys who know their power over there (and here, too!) and since its a dedicated Ranger site, you can find help with a LOT of other things too.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

If you want it to "burn rubber" then you wouldnt want to tube it. The whole point to tubing is, putting bigger tires on (likely slicks) so you can GET traction
Old 12-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Old Mustangs are to hotrods!

Last journal entry: 68 Mustang Fb
Last photo:

If i recall

S&W Racecars makes a kit for the Ranger that lets you put big tires on it without tubs.
www.swracecars.com
Old 12-16-2003, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

There are many companies that offer kits for the rear. Linked below are a few basic guidelines to back half a rear. I am in the process of tubbing a chevelle right now, and I am learning things everyday (like how expensive parts are). I researched for many months before undertaking this task. If you are considering doing this yourself, I suggest reading and researching as much a possible. Check around to find if anyone local can cut your rearend. Some axles cannot be cut depending on if they are tapered or not (this is only my understanding). My socks were knocked off when I found out how expensive new custom axles are. Fortunately, I found a new set of moser's, that were exactly the size I needed, on ebay for 1/4 of the regular price. I lucked out. A few other things to consider is that A 9inch has an offset pinion vs.a 12 bolt, and get your wheels with the backspace you want first. Do you want a ladder bar or 4 link? I plan on reusing my frame rails to save money, so thats another option. Like I said, alot goes into this, but I think it will be worth it. I hope this helps. Sorry for being longwinded, but I don't want anyone going into this blindly like I did. Lets see some pics. of your ride.
http://www.cachassisworks.com/How%20To/htlb1.htm
http://www.cachassisworks.com/How%20To/htss1.htm

Last edited by rajin-cajin; 12-17-2003 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:38 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Put some good racing shocks and springs on it to let the rear dwn, then get the biggest M&H tires you can find. It will grab good and save ya about 4 grand. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 12-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueWraith
Along with the guys here, you should pop over at www.rangerpowersports.com and have a look around.
Dang , you beat me to it. I was gonna say the suggest thing.

Chris
Old 12-26-2003, 07:05 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

I like those big M&H, 33X18.5X15" tires but the Hoosers sure look really COOL! My cars came tubed so the hard work was done. I picked out certain coil over setups and adjusted the 4 links to my satisfaction. Setup the brakes and brake lines and line locks.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.