TUNED PORT OR CARB. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2003, 04:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Talking TUNED PORT OR CARB.

I FEL INTO A SWEET DEAL ON A TUNED PORT MOTOR[350].UP UNTILL NOW I'VE NOT EVEN CONSIDERED F.I.,JUST PLANNED ON CARB. I'M USING THIS IN MY STREET ROD, WHICH WILL BE JUST THAT, STREET DRIVEN.IT WILL SEE PLENTY OF MILES ACROSS THE COUNTRY.THE GUYS THAT I KNOW THAT ARE RUNNING F.I. PROMOTE IT ON THE BASIS OF DRIVEABILITY, ESPECIALLY WHEN CHANGING ELEVATIONS.ANYONE CARE TO ADD THEIR THOUGHTS, ESPECIALLY YOU ROCKY MOUNTAIN GUYS? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2003, 04:56 AM

Carbs are more easilly adjustable since you don't need a programer, less things to break since there are no electrical things to fry, carbs are better on throtle response. But EFI is .........Annoying. I wish my Towncar was carb equiped. I only like my EFI because it looks neat.I know there are good things to EFI, I just don't know though. Steve
Old 01-28-2003, 07:28 AM

Last journal entry: Long time
Last photo:

Thumbs up

I am planning on putting TPI on my 400 small block to go into my 47 fleetline. Being a computer geek, TPI's are much easier for me to work on and fine tune

Mike

P.S. If you decide you don't want to put the TPI on the car let me know
Old 01-28-2003, 10:01 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I've heard good things about TPI for response.I think they go flat after 5000rpm though.Not really sure just what I've heard.
Either way if you do I would make sure all the Computer,Harness,sensors and everything else is there so you don't wind up scratchin your head for parts.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:12 AM

Last journal entry: Long time
Last photo:

Good point 78 monte. If the computer and harness and sensors required to make it run aren't with the motor, it may be less complicated and more economical just to run a carburator.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

a well programmed and application specific fuelinjection system is supperior to any carb except with regards to price.. The question of a Tuned port setup is better, the answer is most certainly no. the runners and plenum is matched to the original engine, and tf that were a 305 TPI, you are much better off with a good intake and a fourbarrell. were you to modify an old hilborn mechanical stack injection manifold for EFI, you would learn the true nature of performance fuelinjection, and the price tag...

I have spent 1200 on a stack manifold, 580 on injectors, 100 on sensors, 1650 on CPU, makeing a setup like mentioned above. so if you are more realistic about your needs than i sometimes am, go with the carb,
Old 01-28-2003, 03:14 PM

Smile

I have run TPI for four years on my 46 truck.Yes at first it was confusing and did cost more for the set up, but the trade off in realiability is for better. Do your home work and learn as much as you can on TPI first. Whene you understand it it makes working on it easier. As the chips go Chevy made them for both 305's and 350's. For all the tuneports Cars with v8's thery are ony three chips that chevy made one for a 305 auto ,one for a 305 fivespeed and the one for the 350 auto. The only diference in the 305's and 350's is injector size. It all boils down to what you want and what you feel comfortable with. As for me its the only way to go. THere are other things to know before you start so as I said before do some home work first.

If its on a trailer its broke:
Old 01-28-2003, 05:14 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Joegaddy, go for the 21st century. Tuned ports is the way to go for all the right reasons. Yes, there is a difference in a 305 and 350 tuneport, so beware of a 350 that has a 305 set up on it. However, there are some super 350 tuneports out there, so check the numbers. And yes, some earlier tune ports sort of shut down at 5000 rpm, but others are screamers. A tune port system will give you about 6mpg increase in fuel milage over a well tuned carb (and how many are there really well tuned?) and you will get 20-30 more HP out of the tune port vice a carb of choice on top of the same motor. There are lots of bare bones wiring kits available for tune ports and computers are almost a dime a dozen in the salvage yards. Also, there are many chip burners out there that will take your cam info, etc and burn you a chip that will water you eyes. You can play with fuel pressures to give you more/less fuel and increase the size of injectors to spray more juice. Back to 305 vice 350 tune ports 305 has 19#/hr injectors and smaller/shorter runners than the 350. The 350 has 24#/hr injectors. There is also a difference in the fuel pressure to run these motors, but an adjustable pressure regulator make that a moot point. There are other things about a tune port that improves performance. One major item is the computer control of the spark timing. There is no mechanical or vacuum advance to contend with - the
computer does it for you based on engine load, rpm and throttle posititon and there is a much bigger range of timing available.

Trees
Old 01-29-2003, 04:56 AM

Talking

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR INPUT. I BELIEVE I'LL USE THE TPI.IT IS A 350 AND IT CAME WITH A LATER SPEED DENSITY COMP. AND "HOWELL" HARNESS[WHICH I WON'T USE].I WOULD STILL LIKE TO HEAR FROM THOSE OF YOU THAT REGULARLY DRIVE THRU THE ROCKIES WITH CARB MOTORS.ONE MORE QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH TPI. DO YOU HAVE "IN TANK" OR FRAME MOUNTED FUEL PUMPS.ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT DOING EITHER? THANKS AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:53 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Joegaddy, I go with the frame mounted fuel pump because I have to pull the bed on my PU to change the pump. Also, I have a thing about an electrical device that can emit sparks inside a closed container with large volume of gasoline fumes. I rember the days of "gear up, flaps up, blow up" when the "can't happen" enginers were trying to figure why an unnamed jet fighter was blowing up when the main feed tank was getting low from an afterburner takeoff. Yep the submerged electric fuel pump was arcing!!

Trees
Old 01-30-2003, 04:50 AM

Talking

THANKS, TREES. THATS MY CHOICE ALSO, JUST WONDERING ABOUT THOSE THAT HAVE USED IN TANK.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:23 AM

would you recommend TPI for a '65 327?

The 'keep it original' guys will hate me, but *who cares* if I can make 100 more hp! : D

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.