Tuned Port Injection Harness - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 05:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tuned Port Injection Harness

i have a TPI unit from a 1986 camaro, i have the intake and distributor, and coil etc... i was wondering, if i was to buy a new harness from painless, does the harness come with everything io need? including the plug in for the diagnostics controll thats under the dash? or will i heed to take that out of the camaro?? How much do aftermarket TPI conversion harness' cost??

And if i was going to buy an aftermarket harness all i would need is the intake distributor coil and the computer... Right?? If not,...any help please on what elese i should get from the camaro
thanks

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

TPI Swap

What are putting the TPI into?

I just swapped a TPI into my 94' Suburban and bought my harness from Street & Performance. I probably paid a little more than say a Painless harness, but I guarantee you will get customer service and technical support that is second to none.

TPI Conversion - 1994 Suburban

Give us a little more detail on your planned swap - car, engine, cam, etc.

Ed www.edgesz28.com

Old 01-08-2005, 06:07 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

The Painless kit is a few $ short of $300. It includes all the wiring and instructions you need, including the ADL. You will need to provide all the sensors. There are some things you need to consider. One is the 86 uses a Mass Air Flow sensor , which takes up a lot of room in the front of the motor and is batch fire.. Second, it has a mickey mouse 9th injector that provides fuel enrichment for cold starts. If it were me, I would go with the 90-93 computer which uses the MAP and frees up several inches in front of the motor. It eliminates the 9th injector by increasing the injector pulse slightly for cold starts. You can still go with your older base plate, fuel rails, injectors and pressure regulator . You have to cap off the 9th injector port and get a computer that ends in 733 serial number and will have to buy a kit to by pass the VATS system, or burn another chip. You also have to buy a MAP sensor. The rest of the sensors should be the same. I am not sure if the 86 Camaro has the small distributor with external coil. If so, you need to get the two coil connector pigtails from it. If it is the big distributor with internal coil, you will be good to go.

You have not said what motor you are putting this on. If it is 86 and older. your base plate is good to go. If it has 88 and newer heads, you will have to rework the middle base plate holes due to the different bolt hole angles in the heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

TPi

i have a 1986 buick regal. It has a small block 350 chev with flat tops and i have a comp cam and its 470. Will the tpi work if i was to use this cam? if not i have one that will work for sure, its just a brand new stock cam from a 327. What sensors will i need? Im eliminating the knock sensor becuase im gear driven. what are the other sensors, and Where are they?? thanks

i have the small distributor with the external coil? what does it matter if i have the bigger distributor witht he internal coil or the small one?????????

I also have the computer and the mass air flow sensor. I just need to know what other sensors i need, other than the ones that are on the tpi intake unit itself.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.