Hot Rod Forum banner

Tuned Port Injection Help

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  boneyard Buick 
#1 ·
hey guys, i was just lookin through a summit magazine, lookin at the wiring harness from painless, and it says this:kit has Plugs for : Distriibutor, o2 sensor, fuel injectors, knock sensor, cold start injctior, fuel pump relay, distributor, MAF relay, MAS, oil press switch idle control motor, MAT sensor, TP sensor, EGR solenoid, Starter solenoid, Esc module.

Here are the things im no sure about and need a few answers on:
- What is the MAT sensor?
- What is the TP sensor
- What is the EGR solenoid and is it mandatory
- Starter solenoid? whats this>
- ESC module? is that what plugs into the distributor as well?
- and is the idle control motor on the throttle body?
- And oil pressure switch.

Can someone help me on these things that im not sure about ^^^^ thanx

#2 ·
- What is the MAT sensor= Manifold Air Temp sensor

- What is the TP sensor= Throttle position sensor

- What is the EGR solenoid and is it mandatory= Its a valve that controls the vacuum to the EGR valve, and yes it is mandatory if you run the EGR Valve.

- Starter solenoid? whats this= With out a long answer. Be more specific in the question.

- ESC module? is that what plugs into the distributor as well= Electronic Spark Control module

- and is the idle control motor on the throttle body= Yes

- And oil pressure switch= just a it sounds, a sensor that reads oil pressure. May be for the computer to control fuel pump or for a gauge.

#4 ·
OPS should be at the back of the engine where the distributor goes into the block aprox 1 inch rear and to the right, or down by the oil filter or both.

No you don't have to run the smog pump, unless you need to pass an emission test??? You may have to turn the pump off in the program, or you may get a check engine light.

Does your intake manifold have the spot for the 9th injector also known as the cold start injector? If it does you can plug that hole.

#7 ·
yeah, i just got a rebuilt 350, with flat tops so im not really lookin for an insane amount of power. TPI looks cool and ya get bottom end, im not lookin for insane amounts of power right now, and the 9th injector isnt doing any damage by still having it installed so im going to keep it there. I want to eliminate EGR and my smog pump, so do i need to block any vaccume ports off on the intake?

#9 ·
I wouldn't worry about messing with the 9th injector. I unplugged mine but that was because I burned a chip that used a later ECM file, which cylcles all the injectors for startup. With my old programming I found the 9th injector to help on cold days however. Just run it as you usually would.

Block off the egr if you aren't going to be running emmisions equipment. Eliminiating the smog pump isn't much of a big deal. You might benefit from a chip reworking after the pump is gone, but Id wait to get the chip done until you are setup with the equipment you want to run.

I run my vacuum ports as follows. The main outlet on the driver side rear of the plenum I run to my vacuum booster. The small nipple on the passenger side rear I "T" off into two lines. One I run to the little nipple in the under side of the Throttle body, the other goes to my fuel pressure regulator. The larger nipple in the passenger rear of the plenum I use for my modulator for the transmission.

Like I have been saying, get a book for the car you are taking the TPI from. You WILL want it and NEED it eventually. If you cant afford the book you cant afford the TPI swap :). The swap ended up costing me about double what I had planned. You might get away with less as you will have all of us (and a good book right?) as resources.

#10 ·
Boneyard, what did this TPI come off from? If you need I can get you a wire diagram for the computer an other sensors if you would like.

Are you going to buy the painless harness or cut and modify yours? I cut and modified my harness for my LT1 and had no problems, you just need to know what you are going to use and not use (as far as sensors go).

Good luck and keep us posted, and post some pictures.

I may be installing the same set up onto my 1988 C2500 truck this fall.

Steve :welcome:

#11 ·
hey steve
i was just wondering, how did u ttake the stock harness out of the other vehicle? i thought i would be able to but i dont think i can i have no clue where to start, too much wires and apparently alot earier to buy a painless harness unless u have some good tips for taking the one out of the car.
The tpi came off of a 1988 camaro Iroc z TPi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.