Well, the mystery is solved. I got so frustrated after 18 random tries that I took the time measure the spring pressure of all the springs and spent time studying all of the combinations that I had tried. After all this work, here are the conclusions that anyone doing this MUST take into consideration.
1) springs can impact shift RPM just as well as weights. Don't make the mistake that weights alone determine rpms.
2) springs must be matched to weights. For example, you can have two weights and two springs that will behave MUCH different if you simply switch the springs and keep the weights the same.
In the end, I got my combination right on with a 1-2 shift at 5700 and a 2-3 shift at 5800. I started with 4000 rpm wot shifts and made most of my improvements by changing springs and dropping one of the weights.
Hope this helps someone...