Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tuning a 700R4
Thread: Tuning a 700R4
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

NP...here is the final combination that I used. For the sake of addressing variation in different kits, I will also give some of the values that I measured for comparison.

Regarding springs. I took two measurements. First was at a compressed height of 0.25, second was at a compressed height of 0.35.

I used:
.25" .35"
Green spring 450g 350g
and
Black spring 1050g 850g

FWIW, stock "corvette" springs at 0.25" are 380g and 1400g. The kit has springs range from 290g to 1050g.

I would recommend that anyone tuning their governor find a small scale and measure their springs BEFORE they change them.....otherwise you could, will be flying blind.

Weights:

Stock, which is 0.5oz/14.2g
"B" weight from kit which is 0.45oz/12.75g

FWIW, weights from the kit ranges from 5.6g to 14.2g

Final combination had Green spring with "B" weight, and Black spring with stock weight.

I can't stress enough that you need to keep good notes during tests. It took some work to see the patterns in what needed to be changed to get this right. Now the thing drives like a dream!

So, in the end, I increased pressure of light spring, reduced pressure of the heavy spring to solve the problem of drastic differences in shift points from 1-2 to 2-3 shifts.

again.....if you don't know where you are starting, you are going to get frusterated. I sure was!