Tuning Dual Carbs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2002, 07:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Tuning Dual Carbs

I cant seem to find anything on how to tune dual carb after they are on the engine. What I have are Holley 1850's. The engine Iam getting has a tunnel ram. I am going to start off with this but will probably change to a regular dual carb manifold. I dont have all of the engine yet and dont have it together just trying to learn as much as I can now. So if some one could walk me thru a procdure for tuning these two buggers it would be great! Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2002, 08:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

My advice? Put a blank gasket under one cab and ron the other one!!
Old 10-18-2002, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Your probably right on that! My problem is Iam to hard headed when someone tells me something cant be done it makes want to do it even more. Oh well! Guess Ill have to figure it out on my own til I decide for myself its not worth it. That tunnel ram looks to cool to just let sit around. Although it would look kinda cool with one of those viney crawling green plants growing out of the top of it.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:56 AM

I run a three deuce tunnel ram 383ci from automotion hotrodcarb in my 54 chevy p/u, It is pretty streetable with loads of bottom end torque and screams on top. It can be done!
Good Luck
Drifter
Old 10-18-2002, 12:37 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I think two 600s(1850 holley) are a little big for a street small block.I'd use like two 390s or 450s.Also edelbrock makes a low rise duel quad setup 1500-6000rpm range that would prolly be alot more streetable.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I was just kidding of course. I never ran a multi-carb setup so would be interested in how it is done. J.C. Whithey and Honest Charlie always sold some sort of tool that allowed tuning of several carbs but I don't know how it worked. Don't recall see the tool advertised for a long time.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

I knew you were kidding! Yeah I also know the carbs are to big but they are comming with the deal. Its a 400 bored 30 over so may not be to bad if I can jet them down a little. Its also comming with a big ars cam and heads. The guy I got it from built it for his drag car til he get his 502 built. Only ran it a couple times. Just how do you set the Idle and Mixture while its running?? do you turn the same one on each carb at the sametime. or just one at a time. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2002, 03:51 PM

If you can find a Unisyn Carb Synchronizer, dealing with this is not as bad. New ones are here; <a href="http://www.storesonline.com/site/256083/product/CP-006-0002." target="_blank">http://www.storesonline.com/site/256083/product/CP-006-0002.</a>

I'm sure someone on e-bay has a used one.

These are set up for tea bagger type cars with S.U. carbs on them and you will have to mickey mouse an adapter from the giant hole on your carburetors to the smaller inlet in the tool. It's basically a vacuum balancing device and maybe when 4Jaw gets in here he will have a simpler answer. We have (my friends and I, not the royal we) used these successfully on up to 6 97's in centuries past.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: slider ]</p>
Old 10-18-2002, 04:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That's it! the Unisyn is the doo-hickey I have seen advertised for decades. Incidentally, the link you show didn't work for me.

Update: just went to eBay and there are two Unisyns listed. One is going for $25 and one is going starting at $15. The appear to be nothing more than a manometer on an adjustable air inlet. To use it, one would adjust the air inlet to achieve just enough resistance to flow to achieve an inch or two of water column pressure drop in the manometer. Without touching the air inlet, the device could be plopped on top of each carb and the idle and mixture screws adjusted until all carbs have the same pressure drop. Actually, you could make your own version wiht some sheet metal, a couple of screws and a big washer and some colored water in a clear plastic hose.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 10-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Uni-syns, at least the ones I've used, are only good for small throsted carbs not Holleys. All you need to do is to back the idle screws out so the carbs are completely closed( make sure the linkage between them is not on at this time)adjust the rod beytween the carbs so it just fits in the same hole on both carbs, and it's done. You can now adjust the idle with one screw or the other since they are hooked together, I always like to turn the other in until it just touches after the idle is set. On a tunnel ram the mixture isn't being isolated to individual cylinders (nor is it on a regular 2-4 manifold, it just breaks it into 2 paths) so the important thing to remember is to have the carbs open equally. I've run many multi carb set ups and on 2-4s this is the usual way to run, 3-2's can usually be run like this or progressively, but that requires different throttle levers on the carbs.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.