tuning holley blower carbs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tuning holley blower carbs

Have a 420 Megablower blown 496 8.5 to 1 with dual 4777's. Qft blocks and 4 corner idle. Mild hyd. roller,114lc on 109icl 640 lift Lunati blower cam. msd6al and locked 32 timing. I have that trailer hitch jerking surge below 2200rpm in gear steady speed and when decelerating in gear. I tuned the idle for high 12's a/f and it cruises at 12.4 at 2000. Tip in throttle and it goes in to the 10's then stays in the high 11's once in the jets when I gun it. If I snap the throttle closed with clutch in it will lean in to the 15's nearly die then recover. Idle is always shaking not smooth. I run the idle screws at 1/2 turn out. I can go 3/4 and it drops in to 11's and smooths out some. Jerking still there but snap closed is better. Eye burning at 1 turn out and I have to turn up the idle to 1000 again but it really has great throttle response there. Sort of lazy if I whack it unloaded leaner that that but not any lag or stumble driving it. I tried for highest idle vacuum around 12" and it really jerks around at 14 afr. It is holding 10" idle but at cruising speed it is 14". Seems like it should be smoother. I tried with and without pcv with same results thinking the carb needed the air leak. Didn't change anything. I have to think my innovate wide band is okay. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Tuning a blown 496

Forget the wideband and tune it so it runs best. Let the engine tell you what it wants and listen to what it says. When I dynoed engines I always looked for the best TQ & HP.

Then again...I may be wrong.

Ron
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

I never used A/f meter in the last 45 years. Guess I'll try it your way. I put a Z28 pcv on and tuned it for best throttle response and will take it out tomorrow if it isn't raining. I tried a pcv in both carbs but it didn't seem to like that. The ifr's must be sized for that port expecting extra air. Never had Holley's with those pcv ports blocked before.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.