Tuning MSD Mechanical Advance Distributor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tuning MSD Mechanical Advance Distributor

Engine:
385 sbc Scat 4130 bottom end Scat I bean w/ 7/16 bolts
Probe SRS .040 flat tops with reliefs, block decked to 9.08"s
Standard oil pump with cheapy Moroso with wings no windage

Solid roller: Comp Xtreme Energy XR280R Duration 280/286, Lift .570/.576 (with 1.5's, I've got 1.52 comps..

Dart 230cc Iron Eagles ported with a Air gap single plane and Holley 850 dp

I built this thing at the local CC and it's all tight, right and new

My question is I've got a MSD pro billet non vac distributor and want get it dialed in. I'm running 24*-26* idle timing per this "run on" thread post #16
New built 385 SBC Dieseling

The dist has the 21* stop in it now and two of the heavy silver springs in it per factory MSD settings. So I'm running like upper 40 something all in timing. On the dyno with the same stop and springs it pulled 489 with 38* all in..

What I'm thinking is going all in by 3000rpm with a light silver and a light blue spring combo and using the largest stop I have which is 18*.. That will still have me in the 40* range.. What I need is a 12-14* stop to put me around 38* with 25* off idle..
Does this sound right? Can I use a tiny washer to make the 18* stop larger while making it a 14*er?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Oh and I'm guessing I've got a 3500 stall in the TH350 and 4.56 out back..
Here's a quick little vid to give you an idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZp_rmUzVM
Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

oops, just saw in the MSD directions how the diameter of the spacer is what sets the stops. So I guess I'll turn one on the lathe then. I'll measure each one and divide it by it's * setting and then add them up to 10* and 14* for my total diameter. What about my all in at 3000rpm theory with the blue and silver light springs?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

Just found this little bit of info. What do you think?
http://www.4secondsflat.com/MSD%20Di...r%20Tuning.htm
Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 AM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have a motor similar to yours, with a bit more duration (248/254). I feel your initial timing is excessive. I have mine a 18 with the 18 stop all in at 3000 making over 550hp. Idles at about 900.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:01 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod937
oops, just saw in the MSD directions how the diameter of the spacer is what sets the stops. So I guess I'll turn one on the lathe then. I'll measure each one and divide it by it's * setting and then add them up to 10* and 14* for my total diameter.
I think $33 plus is too much money for a pair of bushings, but they would give you what you're looking for. I'm not sure if their bushings are a "drop in and go" deal, or if the larger diameter of their bushing requires the slot in the distributor advance plate to be widened. The reason I mention this is IIRC, someone had said the bushing would need to be ovoid to fit into the unmodified slot if the bushing was sized to limit total mechanical timing to much less than 18. You can inspect yours to see what the case is, I'm sure- and if you can make your own bushing, by all means do it and save some cash.

Quote:
What about my all in at 3000rpm theory with the blue and silver light springs?
Convention holds that total timing all in by no more than 3000 RPM is desirable w/a performance SBC build, sooner if the engine combo, fuel, conditions, etc. allow for it. As for what combination of springs will give you this, I cannot say. It's basically a trial and retrial deal.

Also, that cam may well want more initial timing, but again it's try and retry to see what the results are- there's no set law on how much initial timing or how soon the total is in by, when dealing w/ignition timing. Too many variables. But high 40 total is way too much, as you know. I'd shoot for somewhere between 34 and 38, depending on the heads, fuel, etc.

Quote:
block decked to 9.08"s
I'm guessing you mean 9.008"?

Good luck.

Last edited by cobalt327; 05-13-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you want you can stick something in the end of the slot to shorten the travel further, while using the biggest bushing in the kit.

This will allow more initial at idle. Something in the 20-26deg zone should work well)

Try it locked out, first, just for grins.

+Make sure the amount of vacuum advance is not excessive (10-15deg max @ high manifold vacuum part throttle)

and that it comes in and out at the right rate.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

There is no vac advance. I have another MSD that has the vac advance tho.. Maybe I'll lock that one out and try it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.