Hot Rod Forum banner

tunnal ram tips?? sbc s10

12K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  PENSKR22 
#1 ·
i have a 1985 s10 10.1 cr 350, 461 double humpers, eddy's performer cam very healthy motor, im not looking to make it run better as long as it runs as good, this is going to be my "two lane black top", th350 trans w 2000rpm stall, 4.10 gears, i have two 600 eddy's i plan on useing at first sence i already have them, mayb recalibrate them any ideas.....

#3 ·
You're gonna find a bunch of tunnel-ram haters , for what it's worth, they can be setup to run very well on the street , do some searches & read up on tuning, maybe get some carb tuning books to help you understand what's going on, but it's doable. + the really look cool , IMHO

dave

#4 ·
I love my tunnel ram, you just have to make sure the rest of the car is setup for it. They don't start making power till 3000 RPM. Living that high in the power band isn't easy but it can be done. It would be much easier if it wasn't an automatic.

My car gets so much attention and its mostly due to the Tunnel ram.

I drive it on the street and its does a pretty good job. I do need to do something about the rear gear ratio. Its not right and I'm not in the right RPMs like I should be unless I shift manually.

#5 ·
gofastz said:
i have a 1985 s10 10.1 cr 350, 461 double humpers, eddy's performer cam very healthy motor, im not looking to make it run better as long as it runs as good, this is going to be my "two lane black top", th350 trans w 2000rpm stall, 4.10 gears, i have two 600 eddy's i plan on useing at first sence i already have them, mayb recalibrate them any ideas.....
What made you to decide of getting 600 eddy's for your TR set up?

#6 ·
Personally I do not like the idea of using two 600 CFM eddy’s carbs on the tunnel ram on 350 motor that is street driven. There is so much air a motor can deliver depending what RPM you are working with. After that it’s a waste of effort to produce more horsepower. You go overboard and the motor will not perform the way you want. In fact the motor will run like a dog. It will bog off the line and lean backfire, smell of raw gas. Difficult to start. Lousy low end throttle response because over size of the ventures on the carbs. Unless your planning to rev the motor to 8000- 9000 RPM then two 600 CFM carbs will do the job. A pair of Holley 390 #8007 would be a better choice.

#10 ·
id thought id go ahead and use the two 600's i have till i get it closer to being finished, its going to be street rod and its a working progress, later i plan on gettin 450's do some fine tuneing, it will take time to work out all tha cinks but we we'll get there..but all all the info is great and im love'n the pics to.

#11 · (Edited)
On mine I run two 450's with the power valves blocked off... Ran Like a bat out of H*** !!!!! :thumbup:

Two 600 is 1200 cfm's.... That's two much cfm's for a small block Chevy.. :nono: Remember a sbc usually run's best with a 750 Or a little bigger carb..That's 750 cfm's... You have 1200 cfm's.... Get two 450's and block off the power valves... You should see a big difference..... Also if you don't have a good msd to fire everything forget trying to get it right.... I Bought a msd kit from jegs for $540.00 or so.... Best money I ever spent... :thumbup:

http://youtu.be/y9XzfFhYrZI

Attachments

#13 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
Remember a sbc usually run's best with a 750 Or a little bigger carb..
Depends on the SBC, a 750 is too big for most mild mannered to slightly modified SBC's, let's say 375 Hp and less. For those motors a 600 cfm carb is a much better choice. Crisper throttle response and better all around driving.

#14 · (Edited)
lakeroadster said:
Depends on the SBC, a 750 is too big for most mild mannered to slightly modified SBC's, let's say 375 Hp and less. For those motors a 600 cfm carb is a much better choice. Crisper throttle response and better all around driving.

Yea!!!! but not two of them !!!! :nono:

I didn't think I had to say a HOT SBC !!!! Since this is a Hot rod site..But I guess I didn't explain myself good enough.. :nono:

And he does have a little hotter then slightly modified sbc.. ;)

Sorry.... I forgot why I don't try to answer on this side of the forum... Now I'm starting to remember now.. :drunk: :D

#15 ·
Here is a link to an online calculator that should help when selecting what size carb. is needed: http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

Unless you have done significant work to make the engine more efficient (porting, polishing, big valves, etc.) and unless the motor is capable of very high rpm shift points this calculator shows 600 cfm is what is required.

Alot of guys throw too much carburator at a motor and then are disappointed at the driveabilty. With a tunnel ram, in a non-racing application, less is more.

A friend of mine had a tunnel ram on his daily driver '72 C10 back in the early 90's. He used (2) 450 cfm carbs, jetted down very lean. The truck was very streetable, he even drove it in the winter time. Only down side was he always would wait for the engine to come up to temperature before driving. Just as was previously stated, letting the tunnel ram warm up helps a lot when it comes to driveability.

#16 ·
now iv ben thinkin about a 13.1 355 sbc well lets say .465 dome pistons, had ported 305 heads on it with a mag280 comp, ran a 7.50 in tha 8th sittn in a 65' chevelle, so tunnal raming a 355 now?? my mind is running wild :evil: , and yea my plan is to recalibrate the two 600 eddy carbs till more $ flow for two 450's....

#17 · (Edited)
hey guys, i am running a 290 hp Crate motor with a bigger cam, headers and a 1984 weiand Tunnel Ram, with 2 600 eddy's. I have no street driving issues,timing is locked at 36*,2200 stall 700R4 trans, 4.10 gears
but i do upset a few guys at the track. this is a 8.5:1 motor and it screams..
cant wait to put on my other heads..bring it up to 10.0:1
here is a video of me at the track.

Also, I am the 72 Grey camaro

They other camaro is a 79 with a 350 and 177 weiand Blower..
(He never Caught me) :spank:

if video doesnt work here is the link..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3KPOAB3Vic&context=C36c5e73ADOEgsToPDskInWy1Zd3WIdDLI0U_d7-wW

#20 ·
matts37chev said:
from the homework I have done :smash:
the old edelbrock TR has smaller ports, so they seem to be the best for street applications :thumbup:
It does ok, better than I expected. The trans and rear end are not geared very well for the tunnel ram and I may swap it with my other car as a manual transmission would be a lot more fun with this setup.

I know it has the larger plenum on it, vacuum pressure is a problem and effects my braking at low RPMs
I was surprised at how well it drives when its cold, not brutal cold I do live in Florida but it does reasonably well when its in the 30s and 40s

The only thing I don't like is it is a thirsty setup :)

#21 ·
i have my timing locked @ 34* i have Excellent off idle performance, i deffinetly notice a huge change in performance from the T-RAM and my single plane Hurricane intake.. I dont have any street issues i have run it on the street for a year, no issues and no constant tuning either..also it is very intimidating... but i have since covered it with 6'' cowl hood. :mwink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.