Tunnel Ram on 383 Stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2002, 01:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Tunnel Ram on 383 Stroker

I've got a Chevy Camaro with a 350 bored n stroked to 383, solid roller 3000-7000rpm cam, victor jr intake and victor jr heads... it's primarily used as a weekend bracket racer, n my aim is to make as much power as possible on pump gas so I can still drive it to the track n around town on the weekends - my question is basically this... will the Summit Tunnel Ram kit (Weiand Tunnel Ram with dual holley 4-bbl's) give me quicker ET's than a Victor Jr with 1" carb spacer and a Holley 750 4160 carb with vac secondaries? I'm running a 3500 stall torque converter so the bottom end power issue wont be such an issue.

Also, how much extra power is usually expected from changing to a tunnel ram setup? I dont feel like spending $1000 on body work n new distributor n air cleaner assembly etc if I'm only gonna get about 10hp out of it.

Which carbs would you reccomend on a maximum-effort 7000rpm 383?

Thanks for any help, n if anyone has a camaro feel free to check out my site and msg board over at CamaroWorld.com.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2002, 03:25 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i am not a drag racer (yet) and never owned a tunnel ram (yet), but think the HRM carb/intake dyno article showed higher horsepower from a single quad super victor intake with 750 speed or race demon carb(or was it that big-*** holley dominator?) than the summit combo and even more than the higher dollar edelbrock tunnel w/2 650 holleys. Hopefully somebody who knows from real life will answer this quandry. I'm pretty sure that unless your engine can suck the cfm's the tunnel can deliver you can't beat a single quad. the summit combo was by far cheapest of all the combinations at just alittle less HP than the single quad on the super victor. that rag seems to be the one issue i can't find.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:00 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Hello.
I have a year old mag that they done a study on this and the best dyno was an Edelbrock tunnel ram with 2 600 carbs. Next was the summitt combo with 2 450 carbs. I think either will cause it to load up a little on the street just because your mainly cruising and not at WOT. But you can make it work. I'll try and find that article and give you the exact specs. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 09-19-2002, 05:20 PM

I'm kinda leaning towards getting one of those $530 CNC machined Super Victor intakes and a Race Demon RS carb or get a race carb made by BLP (local guys here in Orlando who do the NASCAR carbs), it'll most likely make more power than any tunnel ram setup for that price... granted it won't stick outta the hood n look all sexy, but it'll definately perform. I'd still be interested in finding out some actual hp numbers for a tunnel ram tho, does anyone have the article bullheimer referred to?
Old 09-19-2002, 06:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Technically speaking, a properly set-up tunnel ram will outperform a single 4 bbl set up. The key word here is properly set up. These tunnel ram kits you buy are not ready to run. I have a 73 Z-28 with a 410 CI small block, a roller cam 12.0 compression and 292 Turbo Heads, it has a Weiand Hi-Ram with two 660 center squirters, set up by Brad Urban. It cost me alot to put this together, and tune it right, but the car runs 10.30s and screams unlike any 4 bbl I had on it. So, if you just use one of those kits, your single 4 bbl -super victor will probably outpeform if, and give alot less headaches.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitromethane
I've got a Chevy Camaro with a 350 bored n stroked to 383, solid roller 3000-7000rpm cam, victor jr intake and victor jr heads... it's primarily used as a weekend bracket racer, n my aim is to make as much power as possible on pump gas so I can still drive it to the track n around town on the weekends - my question is basically this... will the Summit Tunnel Ram kit (Weiand Tunnel Ram with dual holley 4-bbl's) give me quicker ET's than a Victor Jr with 1" carb spacer and a Holley 750 4160 carb with vac secondaries? I'm running a 3500 stall torque converter so the bottom end power issue wont be such an issue.

Also, how much extra power is usually expected from changing to a tunnel ram setup? I dont feel like spending $1000 on body work n new distributor n air cleaner assembly etc if I'm only gonna get about 10hp out of it.

Which carbs would you reccomend on a maximum-effort 7000rpm 383?

Thanks for any help, n if anyone has a camaro feel free to check out my site and msg board over at CamaroWorld.com.
The best method to work out carb size is the following.
CID x max RPM / 3456
This gives you 383 x 7000 / 3456 = 775CFM this will work on all setups so don't go putting 2 x 750 on your engine. 2 x 400CFM is enough....
Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

Hey Lenfo....FYI always look at the date, this post is 9 yrs old.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.